Why Being The Devil's Advocate Isn't A Bad Thing

A rare breed who realizes their first perception of an issue won't always be the same as their last.

1782

Are you a democrat or republican?

Answer this question and nine times out of ten I can guess what news station you watch. Reason being.... we watch and listen to what we agree with. There's nothing wrong with that except thanks to your strong held beliefs in your politics, you will never hear the other side....

Devils advocate- (noun) a person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate or test the strength of the opposing arguments

Are you pro-life or pro-choice?

Wait let me change the question around a bit.

Can you see why people are pro-life or pro-choice?

The key to understanding a major issue like the one above is to be able to argue both sides. Sounds weird right? Why should I argue for the side I'm against? If you're pro-choice can you understand why pro-life supporters believe it's killing a life? If you're pro-life can you see why pro-choice supporters believe the government is taking away women's rights? By being able to fall on either side of an argument you are not only more knowledgeable on the topic at hand but also may change your own perspective or strengthen your initial view.

Think of your opinion like a car on the highway. You're steering your car in the direction you decide but all you know is that one lane. Therefore, you never changed lanes and just look straight ahead and follow the path you are accustomed to. There's another car in the lane right next to yours but it's not visible in your mirror. That, my friends, is your blind spot. If you only listen to what you agree with or surround yourself with people who think exactly like you, you become oblivious to all other facts, opinions, and ideas around you.

That's where being the devil's advocate comes in.... challenge yourself. Listen to other people's opinions that differ from yours. Introduce your viewpoint and keep an open mind for the opposing side. And if you aren't the confrontational type ask yourself, why do I think this way? Watch a news station you tend to abscond from. Subscribe to a youtuber with a different political standpoint than your own. Life is all about finding who you are, and how far can you possibly get if you stay in your safe little bubble?

The devil's advocate isn't a heinous villain. Rather, he/she is an individual who wants to provoke change and evolution to previous thoughts. A devil's advocate is a rare breed who realizes their first perception of an issue won't always be the same as their last.