Why You Should Start a Blog in College

Why You Should Start a Blog in College

All the benefits of starting a blog and why you should jump in

52
Why You Should Start a Blog in College
http://www.lessormorgan.com

Writing has been my hobby for a long time. Ever since I was young I kept a journal and logged my experiences. During my sophomore year in college I took a leap and started a blog (http://www.lessormorgan.com). Starting the blog has created numerous opportunities more me such as freelance marketing gigs, free hostel stays, and overall personal growth. Here is why you should take the jump and start a blog.

It boosts your resume 

College is s busy time. Starting a blog is a fun way to juice up your resume. The job market these days is cut-throat. Nowadays students need something extra that sets them apart from everyone else. Starting a blog is a way to do that.

Helps improve your writing 

If you don't consider yourself a great writer, don't worry. The more you write the better you will become. It is incredible to see how far I have come. My first blog post was laughably bad, but since then my writing has improved tremendously. Blogging will challenge you to write well and write often which will serve you well later in life.

You have credible writing samples 

In many fields, such as Journalism, you will probably be asked to submit writing samples when applying for jobs. If you start a blog you can use those articles as writing samples. Even if you are a journalist or English major starting a blog is in your best interest. If you are a chemist, may you should start a blog promoting your research. Or if you are interested in exercise start a blog about health and fitness. Whatever your interests and career goals are, there is a blog niche for you.

Gives you experience working on websites 

Having experience working with platforms such as Wordpress, Wix, or SquareSpace can make you more competitive when applying for jobs. Almost every business in this modern day age is an online business too. Having an online presence makes a company more credible. Even small businesses are likely to have a social media page, blog, and website. If you have experience in growing traffic on a website business employers are interested in that skill.

You can make money 

Who doesn't want more cash in their pocket? Let's face it college life essentially means living on a budget. Putting advertisements on your website or selling products can help you make some extra cash. Additionally, there are opportunities to partner with other companies. Some businesses will pay to be mentioned in your article. Be on the hunt for potential collaboration partnerships.

FREE STUFF

Have you ever wanted to get free hotel stays or discounts on clothing? Since I started my travel blog I have partnered with companies for media and marketing strategies. This allowed me to stay in Charleston, S.C. for free and get discounts on products I already love. Brand ambassador positions will allow you to purchase clothing at a discounted cost or free. All you have to do is propose to the company the article you hoping to write and how you expect to be compensated.

The market isn't oversaturated 

Often times I hear people say 'don't start a blog, no one reads them anymore' or 'there are too many bloggers already out there'. I will admit there are a lot of bloggers out there, but none with your voice. Growing a blog takes time to cultivate, and rarely does a blog blow up overnight. Be patient. Over time you will develop readers who enjoy your particular style. Yes, there are a lot of bloggers already out there but there are millions of users and readers searching for quality content.