Why You Should Really Love Your Body

Why You Should Really Love Your Body

We need to spend more time appreciating our features for what they can do rather than what they look like

9
Why You Should Really Love Your Body
Shannon Steffen

Every single day we are exposed to something that makes us, or someone around us, feel like our bodies aren’t small enough, tall enough, strong enough, attractive enough, or just enough in general. Even someone who comes off confident and physically beautiful is still picking out something they dislike about themselves. We are constantly thinking about something we wish we could change. You could be just about perfectly healthy and still wishing something about your physical appearance was better. I can’t help but think how much more we would love ourselves if we spent more time appreciating our features for what they can do rather than what they look like. You should love...

Your smile

One of the biggest small things we will ever be able to do for another person is smile at them. In the car, at the coffee shop, walking to class, going to church, during a challenging time, sometimes the one thing that can turn a whole person’s day around is receiving a genuine smile.

Your arms

Perfectly toned or not, sometimes all a person needs is to feel another’s embrace. We were given these arms to hug people and link arms when crossing the street or going through Halloween haunted houses.

Your voice

Hearing your recorded voice is not something to be embarrassed about. To be able to let people hear your opinion, your questions and your appreciation is something we never stop to think about. Being able to have life-changing conversations or talk over the phone with family you haven’t seen in months is something that keeps our relationships flourishing and our horizons expanding.

Your laugh

Your laugh is not obnoxious or loud, it is an external sign of your joy. To have friends and family that make you laugh is one of the most amazing things you could ever have and nothing should keep you from laughing until tears come out of your eyes and your abs go sore.

Your legs

If you can put one step in front of another, how fortunate are you to be able to walk with sand beneath your toes and chase the current of the ocean. Your legs carry you to the highest peaks you'll reach and will keep the pedals turning on your bike for Saturday rides to the farmer's market.

Your eyes

No matter the color… if you have working eyes, think about all of the beautiful things you see on a daily basis. You see people come to life when they talk about things they love and you get to watch your siblings grow up. You get to look at works of art and admire views that don’t seem real. Your eyes give you the chance to watch seasons change and make shapes out of clouds.

While so much time and energy can be spent on picking out all the things we would make different about our bodies, we should be reminding ourselves of all the amazing things we are capable of as humans. Not everyone is as fortunate as the next person, but if you have a beating heart, you are fortunate enough.