Why You Should Read Gemina

Why You Should Read Gemina

My review of the second book in the Illuminae Files Series
9

I recently just finished the second book in the Illuminae Files series, and I'm happy to say that Gemina lived up to the hype Illuminae set up for me. Even if I wasn't super hyped to be following new set of characters after getting attached to the previous book's cast, I was sucked into the story. Gemina was told similarly to Illuminae by using records of chat room conversations and pictures to show what's happening. I expected the book to take me longer to read because the book is basically a giant brick, but I was finished in less than a week of an hour here and there.

Gemina is set on space station Heimdall (a name that may be familiar to those who have read the first book) where the new main characters have to fight another wave of BeiTech's assault. Not only do they have to fight to survive, they also have to deal with attacks from alien predators, and worry about the malfunctioning wormhole at the center of the station destroying the universe as they know it.

The main characters of Gemina are the space station captain's daughter named Hana, and a member of a notorious family gang named Nik. Both of their lives were complicated enough without the attack on the space station, and have to learn to get along to survive. While I felt as if the character's were a little trope-ish and typical, I was compelled enough by the plot that I wasn't bothered by it. Plus, there are a few other interesting characters that helped round them out.

Despite some of my issues with the main character's, this was a great read! I had a bit of an extensial crisis at the end when I realized I have to wait until later this year to read the third book. I highly recommend picking up this series if you're a fan of Sci-Fi. There's plenty of time to catch up till the last book!