Why You Should Listen To Kpop

Why You Should Listen To Kpop

3 Reasons to Give The Musical Genre A Try

4480
Why You Should Listen To Kpop
Vixx/Twitter

These days music has started to blend together to make white noise. Nothing really stands out as much as it used to back in the early 2000s. For this very reason, I myself started to stray from mainstream music stations in the search for something new and exciting. Eventually, though my friends introduced me to Kpop, and I haven’t had to worry about a lack of variety ever since.

Reason One: Very Different from American Music

Kpop obviously isn’t in English but don’t let that scare you off. The music resonates with you even if you don’t understand all the words and you’ll find that not all songs are love songs. Everyone has heard plenty of love songs by now so Kpop will be a refreshing change. You’ll find that the music is just vastly different in its sound, quality, lyrical content, and feeling.

For example, there’s One Shot by B.A.P which is a song about doing the right thing because you might not have another opportunity to do so. Some of my favorite lyrics are “It’s too early for failure, you’re still young. One shot, one chance. There’s no second chance, don’t lose it, get ready now.” That’s by no means a love song but definitely a staple for B.A.P. Lyrics that are meant to make you think about life and consider your choices. Not an everyday concept but one that B.A.P promotes and a change from a lot of American music these days.

Another song that highlights the differences between American music and Kpop would be 뱁새 (Try-Hard) by BTS which is about how the current generation doesn’t have it as easy as the older generations make it sound. Some of the lines from the rap that point out the difference are “My legs are shorter…They say it shouldn’t matter since we’re coming from the same place.” The rapper compares the current generation with cow tits, small Korean birds, to the larger storks that represent the older generation and points out that the current generation isn’t like the older ones so it isn’t possible to achieve the same things in the same way.

Kpop is way more than just love songs. It’s made up of songs meant to inspire and songs meant to illuminate people about life regardless of their age. Don’t worry, though, there are also some really sweet love songs too.

Reason Two: The Album Concepts Are Amazing

KPop groups often release about two albums per year and with each album they promote a new concept. These concepts drive the music video production and album photos. For example, a group known for their concepts, Vioxx, has had concepts ranging from cyborgs to Jekyll and Hyde. The music videos tell different stories through the group members acting and dancing.

The concepts vary enough that they can show how groups, both male and female, have a variety of different sounds. Kpop groups will range from dark concepts to cute concepts all the while retaining their distinct sound and that is very impressive.

Reason Three: Variety

Like I’ve already said before Kpop is full of variety. You’re likely to find a group that suits your particular music taste. Kpop isn’t just pop music but actually is a far bigger genre that encompasses many subgenres. You can find a mix of hip-hop and pop through groups like BTS and Block B. If you’re more into the slow ballad like songs, you can get your fill from groups like TVXQ and JYJ. If you are a diehard fan of pop and love songs than Exo could be the right fit for you. No matter what sort of music you like you will likely be able to find a group that fits your tastes. Even alternative bands exist like CNBlue and FTIsland.

So if you’re willing to give it a try and experience a whole new level of music let me get you started with an intro playlist to Kpop. Happy listening!