Why You Should Limit Your Friend Group

Why You Should Limit Your Friend Group

It's okay to be picky.

2
Why You Should Limit Your Friend Group
Jenny Kelly

There is no way you can get through life without having that someone to turn to that will be biased with you or play devil's advocate when need be. The best friend for life, ride or die, bestie for the restie. Having multiple BFF's can turn complicated and messy, so here's why you should keep your friends close and your BFF's closer.

Finding one person to deal with me is hard honestly, I don't expect someone to deal with me when I can't even deal with myself. To my surprise during college I found multiple of these people. One sorority sister, and two girls the same major as me all of who decided we were going to have these "unbreakable bonds". At first it was fun, none of them were best friends with each other so it was nice constantly switching between friend groups because not only did I get to know everyone well but I was also known by others. I was basically never alone and had a constant flow of gossip and secrets to keep. To say it felt like I was on top of the world is an understatement.

Two years later and I still have two great best friends but it comes with sacrifices. Not only do you always favor one over the other because that's a natural thing to do but you pick out the flaws of each. When you choose what friend to hang out with that day or to rank who you would rather go to the party with that weekend, that is not a healthy friendship. You should never put yourself in a situation where you are scared to let someone know you have chosen someone else. Yes, it's great to have a lot of friends but it is never a bad idea to keep just one or two close.

You're friends will change, you're taste in people will change, and even you will change over the years to come. There is one thing this generation needs to do, express ourselves more and try to impress our friends less.