Why You Should Let Go Of The Past

Why You Should Let Go Of The Past

It's hard, but it's good.

36
Why You Should Let Go Of The Past
Unsplash

I get it, I really do. They suck and they hurt you. You cared for them so much that you would have given up your kidney for them. You have memories attached to songs and you can still remember the way that they felt against you at night, but where are they now? Maybe they left you or maybe you left them. Maybe, you left each other a long time ago and now the feeling is creeping back up to you on a cold night.

Maybe you don't miss them, maybe you hate them with every fiber of your being. The taste of their name is like acid in your mouth and you want to egg their house. They broke you, somehow. They left you heartbroken and betrayed.

And now, you're thinking of that person. Their face flashes against your eyelids in the most vivid way and maybe you remember them beautifully or maybe horrendously, like your own personal demon. But, you're thinking of them. I'm sorry I brought such sour feelings back to you, but can you feel that? You might have been in a fantastic mood before reading this but now you're in a mood and you feel like someone blindsided you because all you can think about is them and the way they used to make you feel, then the way they make you feel now.

I'm here to tell you something very important: let it go. It's as simple and as hard as that. No one wants to hold on to things that make them go crazy, yet why do we do it anyway? Why do we let names make us sick and memories make us scream? I know, it's hard to let it go because there's so much of your life connected to them, but they're gone for a reason now. No one can be taken from you, they just leave. And that's okay. It's not your fault and it's not their fault, as crazy as that sounds. If you want to blame anyone, just blame life. Things happen and hearts change as quickly as the weather changes.

That doesn't mean you should scorn them forever or love them forever because they touched you in a way no one else will. It's time that you forgive and thank. Forgive them for hurting you and thank them for coming into your life and touching you in such a special way.

If you think about it, they showed you something wonderful and you were so happy for a time. Life brings people to you when you need them and when it knows you need something else, even if you don't realize it, they prepare to send you someone else.

So thank the people you were with, who helped you become who you are, but don't live in that shared past because you will only bring yourself and them sadness. If you still have the love for that person, you let them go and don't try to hurt them in their new life. And if you love yourself, you won't make yourself feel so small and don't let your memories chain you in the past and keep you from moving into your future.