Why You Should Drink Milk

Why You Should Drink Milk

Milk is good for the body

27
Why You Should Drink Milk
Shelby Key

As you've heard recently, "Not Your Mom, Not Your Milk." However, humans have been consuming cow's milk for centuries. So what is all the fuss about now? In a recent article it was discussed that there were a few reasons why we should not be drinking milk, but I'm here to clarify why our bodies need milk.

Cleanliness.

A glass of milk contains an abundant amount of nutrients. A farmer works diligently to keep his cows healthy to provide you with milk and to be able to continue to keep his product on the market. The United States of Department of Agriculture works extremely hard to ensure the consumers are getting quality milk. Each time a milk truck picks up the milk, it is tested for any antibiotics and bacteria levels. If the farmers does not meet the qualifications, their milk is dumped out and they are required to pay for that tank of milk that could have potentially put the consumer's health in danger.

If a cow is being treated for an illness with antibiotics, the cow is given a withdrawal period. This means the cow is milked outside of the line in a bucket and that milk is them dumped in the trash. This ensures the consumer does not have any antibiotics in their milk, that the milk is of good quality, and safe. Now, let's talk somatic cell count. Somatic cell count is the total number of cells per milliliter in milk. Primarily, SCC is composed of leukocytes, or white blood cells, that are produced by the cow's immune system to fight an inflammation in the mammary gland, or mastitis. If a cow has a high somatic cell count, then the cow will be treated and milked out of the line. Just as humans have white blood cells that are always fighting to keep us healthy, so do cows. Whenever our white blood cell count increases, usually we are sick. If you were a breast-feeding mother and came down with a bacterial infection, you would not feed your child, especially if you were on an antibiotic. It's the same with cows. However, if you are not sick, the nutrients in your milk will build your child's immune system. Cow's milk can do the same for you!

Cows milk is meant for humans.

"A cow's milk is perfectly fit to turn a newborn calf into a 400-pound cow in just one year."

This quote was mentioned in the previous article. However, dairy farmers do not abandon their calves. It is actually extremely important for those calves to consume their mothers milk, and they do. Their mother's milk is full of colostrum which contains natural antibodies to build their immune system. This colostrum sets them up nutritionally for the rest of their life. During this time, their mother is not milked in the line because we know the importance of the calf receiving their mother's milk. If calves do not consume the colostrum, more than likely it will not make it. So do not feel bad for drinking milk, you are not taking anything away from the calf. Plus, you are receiving nine essential nutrients: calcium, potassium, phosphorus, protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin B12, riboflavin and niacin. Each of these nutrients is a key ingredient of milk, and they all work together to help keep our bodies healthy.

Health benefits to drinking milk.

Over the years there have been several different alternatives for milk. Are they really better for you? There's silk milk, soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, coconut, rice milk, hemp milk -- you name it! Did you know they are missing one key protein? Yep, all of these alternatives do not have casein. Casein is a higher quality protein that promotes colon health, greater fat loss and greater muscle retention, and it is only found in mammalian milk. Yes we can do that with plant sources, but the casein actually makes it easier for our bodies to process. In all honesty, some of the milk re-placers, I would be ashamed to say truly replaces milk because of their lack in protein.

Great value brand 2% milk contains eight grams of protein in one cup of milk. While the leading brand of almond milk only contains less than one gram.

Another misconception about consuming dairy is that it leads to osteoporosis instead of promoting stronger bones. Just like any nutrient rich product, it all must be consumed in moderation to get the benefits expected from it. Only consume what is recommended.

Health and welfare of the cow.

Cows in the United States spend their lives being pampered. Most farmers have their cows in either a free-stall barn or on pasture for grazing. The free-stall barns have mist systems, fans, and, sand for them to relax on. Their feed is brought to them once or twice a day. They also have the freedom most the time to graze in a nearby pasture throughout the day. Of course, they have access to water and food though. Whenever they are in the parlor for milking there are fans, mist systems, and even more food. As said before, "Our Cows, Our Milk, Our Land." These farmers take pride in what they do. These animals do not go without and are put before anything else.

As mentioned, these cows are being milked. A cow has their first calf around three years old. At this age the heifer has completely matured and is ready to become a cow. There are two different ways a cow can become pregnant. There is the natural way of the herd bull and there is artificial insemination. The herd bull will usually get the job done, but it can become dangerous not only for the heifers and cows, but for the farmers. This is why artificial insemination is beneficial. It allows the farmer to pick out semen that is fit for that specific cow. You would not want a heifer bred to a huge bull. That would cause the first time mother to have issues and could cause the calf and mother to lose their lives. However, through artificial insemination you can prevent those issues.

Once the cow has given birth, the lactation process begins. As mentioned earlier the cow does have time with their calf and is able to feed their calf. The calves are not killed, but are used for the production. How would a business ever continue to stay a live if they killed their offspring? As the calf gets older it will be placed with other calves their age and the cow will go in the line, meaning they will be milked two or three times a day.

Farmer's keep accurate records of their cows to maximize milk production. However, this does not mean that as soon as a cow has a calf they are being impregnated again. You have to give the cow time to heal. Just as a human it is not safe to become pregnant until a few months after giving birth.The body needs rest. A cow deserves that. That is also why there is a dry period for cows. They do not get milked every day of the year. They need a vacation. A month or two before they calf they are given a dry period to use all their energy for the calving process.

Does it hurt them?

Of course, it does not hurt them. Farmers always want their cows comfortable. If cows are not comfortable in an environment, they do not produce milk. It actually feels like carrying a book bag all day and finally being able to take it off. Their udders can contain anywhere from 50 to one hundred pounds of milk. I do not know about you, but I would want to get that off of me.

There you have it. I hope this makes you want a big glass. Have a dairy good day!