Why You Should Check Out 'Bone Gap' By Laura Ruby

If you're looking for a new novel, this is the one.

Recently I finished the book "Bone Gap" by Laura Ruby. I picked up the novel a few months ago, but it took me a few months to finish just due to classes and a backed up reading list. When I did have time to read, I flew through the pages.The writing style was easy to get into, despite the actual book and setting being really weird. "Bone Gap" is classified as a young adult novel between fantasy and magical realism; at first, it appears to be set in a small town called Bone Gap, but broadens to a strange alternate dimension.

The story is mostly told from the perspective of Finn O' Sullivan; a strange boy who lives with his older brother. He has nicknames, such as "moonface," describing his odd personality and tendencies to zone out. The small town is very close to each other, so when a beautiful woman named Roza disappears, suspicion lands on him. Yet Finn insists he saw her get kidnapped in the cornfields by a man whose face he couldn't remember.

During this novel, I found it really difficult to tell what was real and what was just part of a metaphor. I almost liked having so much freedom to interpret things. At some points, it's hard to decide if something is actually happening or if it's just the author's way of describing things. The side characters living in Bone Gap are full of life and quirks that border on unreal, but at the same time, it's just weird enough that I can picture it clearly. I can imagine what all of these people act like and live like.

"Bone Gap" captures the atmosphere of magical realism perfectly. It teeters on the edge of fantasy, but keeps the story grounded that it feels real. There are a few places I would like to have a bit more detail that solidifies the exact details, but the ambiguity adds to the atmosphere Ruby created. I gave this book 5/5 stars on Goodreads, so needless to say, I recommend picking it up!