You Should Always Insist On In-Person Interviews

Because there's no harm in taking that extra step.

1766

Well, it’s finally arrived: interview season. Given the number of applications most people are having to fill out around this time of year, stress levels become heightened when thinking about the best way to go about the interview process.

Whether you’re applying for internships in your hometown or planning to stay on campus, the anxiety that fuels you regarding interviews is the same. Still, there is one thing to keep in mind during this time, and that is to remember that in-person interviews are always the best route to go, and if you can, you should absolutely do them.

Any time a company reaches out to you expressing interest that they would like to speak with you further regarding your application, you should take it as a good sign that they are in fact interested. However, because of the excitement that many of us feel when we hear this news, we jump at the chance to schedule a phone call for the first available time slot.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with the enthusiasm and excitement that arises from these situations, but still, there might be a way to benefit from waiting a few extra days to schedule that interview.

If you have the ability to interview at the company in person, the first thing you should do when responding to your prospective employer is inform them of the dates that you might be able to stop-in. Although it may be a week or so after they would have liked to schedule a phone interview, it will do nothing but increase your chances of landing the position.

For starters, suggesting an interview in person shows that you are extremely interested in the job, and that you are willing to go the extra mile. This may seem like such a simple thing to you, but when an employer hears that you are willing to take time out of your day to meet with them in person, it shows them that you are dedicated.

That being said, this certainly doesn’t guarantee that it is going to land you the job, but it will allow you to stand-out amongst other applicants, and that places a little extra attention on you during the applicant review process.

Additionally, interviewing for a position in person provides you with the opportunity to experience the company culture and observe the types of people who work in the environment. No matter how much background information you have about the company or how many people you might know who work there, being able to experience the atmosphere for yourself can make a big difference. It may leave you with a lasting impression that this is the place you have been dreaming of working at or confirm any doubts you might have been having regarding the position.

Most importantly, interviewing in person gives you the opportunity to let your personality shine through and show the company why you are the perfect fit for the position. Regardless of whether you have the most expressive “phone voice,” meeting with someone in-person allows for their personality and interest to shine through in a way that technology simply limits.

While on the surface it may seem more nerve wrecking, you will get your footing faster than you anticipate and feel much more comfortable expressing yourself and talking about the position when having a face-to-face conversation.

When it comes to interviews, we are always going to overanalyze if we are saying or doing the right thing. Although you may feel more comfortable scheduling a phone interview, if you have the opportunity, push to interview in person and give yourself that extra attention you deserve.

And to all my fellow college students hustling to finalize those summer applications and schedule those interviews, best of luck! You’re going to be great.