Why You Need To Cherish Your Freshman Roommate

Froomie for life

14
Taylor Diebold

As people we take advantage of some of the things we are introduced to or handed in life, we don't realize what is in front of us until it's already too late or we actually take the time to think about it. The biggest thing that is taken advantage of in our lives are some of the people that were put into our lives. They are put there for a reason and some of those reasons we don't find out until way down the road or when a situation happens that makes you reevaluate. In college one of those people is our freshman roommate, they impact our lives an incredible amount. You need to always cherish your froomie and here are some reasons why.

You are both going through a huge transition and you get to experience and take on your new life together. Starting your freshman year isn't always the easiest but you have someone with you every step of the way going through the same things.

Living in that shoebox they call a dorm room. This is when you learn how to really deal with people being in your personal space. You both get to learn how coordinate schedules with each other based off of each of your daily activities.

You have a personal alarm clock. Those dreadful 8 am classes you both signed up for means you both have to be up and at it so you help each other out. Whether you're grumpy about it or not you can thank your froomie for passing that class because you actually attended.

You have a new venting buddy whether it be about classes, your parents, that crush you've had your eye on or about the food in the caf and the freshman 15. They sorta have to listen because your beds are so close together but then you end up having the same things to vent and bitch about together. Your own personal diary in college basically.

There's one thing that we all need in college and thats motivation. Your froomie is there to tell you to do your work, clean your side of the room or finally do your laundry. It's like a subconscious you wish you actually had that is there to kick your ass in gear.

The fact that you are trying a bunch of new things in college is a scary thing but you have your froomie to tag along and try them too. Whether it be trying a new spot on campus to eat or going to a party you know no one at, they are there to be your buddy and help you conquer it.

Having a personal mirror basically is something you should always thank them for. You need to know if you look good, didn't miss a section of hair when straightening or curling it and even if the shoes match the rest of the outfit. They are there to be honest and tell you that you look a little ridiculous or its a hat day.

You have someone that always has your back. If you start fighting with another friend you've made in college or even from back home your roommate is always going to fight for you. You grow a special bond that gives you every right to defend them.

Carpooling is huge in college especially since we're all on a budget. Need to go grocery shopping or you want to get go pizza your froomie is your shotgun rider or vice versa. Never go anywhere alone even if it's to starbucks!

Being on budget means you learn to share with someone because it's nice when they share too. Whether it be muffins, coffee, hot pockets, snacks in general or gatorade for that hangover you will always thank each other when your bank account is running low and its all available to you.

Always having someone is important because college is an emotional roller coaster and its good to know you can go home at the end of the day and you'll always have that person no matter what. If you stay friends with your froomie forever you'll have someone to look back with and laugh at all those embarrassing memories.

Never take advantage of you froomie and love them every second you can. You will bicker a little bit and go through hell with them but once your freshman year is over you'll look back and cherish them for everything they were there for. It's something no one can take away from you and you need to realize what a blessing that person is at such a vulnerable time in your life. LOVE YOU FROOMIE!