Why You Need to See La La Land

Why You Need to See La La Land

La Land encompasses an unrivaled Old Hollywood feel in modern times and is all about going after your dreams.

36
Why You Need to See La La Land
Google Images

1. The Incredible Message of Following Your Dreams

La La Land shows us the story of two individuals who did something truly daring that I think most of us dream of but never go after: our dreams. Sebastian, Gosling's character, and Mia, Stone's character, have specific life goals in mind. These are unique to each. For Sebastian, he isn't after the fame and glitz, but rather, he is passionate about sharing jazz music with the world as a jazz pianist. Both make the commitment to embark on the heartbreaking journey that chasing these dreams involves. I found myself rooting for them to make it, two characters who put their lives on the line for their passions. I think we all truly want this, and it's refreshing to see people going after something we long all wish we could do.

2. However, it shows that dreams are not easy to follow in the least.

Both spend the majority of the movie as struggling hopefuls. Stone works in a coffeeshop, serving famous actresses and actors while Gosling is hired to play music he isn't passionate about. Sebastian lives in a shabby apartment, and Mia's one-woman show is performed to a minimal audience in a nondescript theater. In fact, Mia almost gives up on her and returns home, feeling like she has failed.

3. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are incredible.

While they have been given some guff, it is important to recognize that neither Gosling or Stone make a living as professional dancers and singers; however, they are actually pretty great. They have a certain beautiful quality where they exude that they are talented performers. They are likely better dancers and singers than most average people. While the vocals, weren't always there, the songs were far from painful and were highly entertaining. The scene where they tap dance with the LA skyline and sunset in the background is divine.

In addition, the on-scene chemistry is fantastic. The characters are highly believable as individuals, lovers, and especially as real people.

4. Gosling's Dancing and Piano Playing is Actually Pretty Good.

I am AH-MAZED to know that Ryan did a lot of his own piano playing. He trained for three months to get the piano playing down, and the result: it was incredible.

Plus, I don't think it's just me who thought his tap dancing was pretty great to watch.

5. The End Dream Sequence Fulfills What We All Wished Would've Happens, Slightly Lessening the Blow...Slightly.

While the ending left everyone in the theater a little heartbroken, the pain was eased by seeing what could've been in things had gone differently only to break it once again when we are snapped back to reality. I loved that I wasn't left to imagine what could've been and given the chance to see the idealistic "happy ending."

6. Ryan Gosling's Costuming is Fantastic.

Major props to the costume department because Ryan was dressed to perfection.

I love a man in a nice suit (One reason why I am obsessed with Suits). It was a dream.

It's not a suit picture, but look at those wingtips. Ah, swoon.

Major Heart Eyes

7. It has an Old World/ Old Hollywood feel even though it takes place in modern times.

Oh how we love to romanticize the glitz and glamour of Old Hollywood instead of the sleazier reputation it often (not always, but often) takes on today, and this is the perfect movie that captures these fantasies. I actually thought it took place back in time until a character whipped out a cell phone.

8. It has an emphasis on passion.

Not compromising on your dreams is a key aspect of the story because Sebastian almost does this. Yet, Mia causes him to realize that doing what he loves , playing the music he loves is more important to him.

9. It has a believable love story.

The ending...the tragic, real ending...

Sebastian and Mia's love took time to cultivate as love often does. It certainly wasn't "love at first sight" or second sight or even third. The relationship took time to grow as it usually does in the real world. Plus, the blissful early moments were shown where the trailblazing two seemed like nothing could get in the way. Story over.

However, they do come out of this phase where they go stretches without speaking or seeing each other: each too engrossed in separate work. What was important is that neither would compromise on their dreams nor would the other let them. That's love sometimes, wanting what's best for the other person even though it means losing them. Sebastian urges her to go after her dreams when she lands a long-term, major movie role. They both promise to take it a day at a time and see how it played out.

La La Land doesn't include a real fairy tale ending though. Five years later, Mia has a husband, major acting career, and a daughter. Sebastian has his club and the music he loves. This shows sometimes even the best of loves sadly don't work out.