11 Reasons You Should Find A Campus Ministry

Campus ministries do not replace going to church, but they are a great place to find Christian community and serve the Lord on your campus.

490

I get it. You're tired in the mornings. You want to sleep in on Sundays. It's hard to go to church by yourself. Something that you should consider is getting involved in a campus ministry. You don't have to wake up early and they usually meet at night, so you should be awake anyways.

Campus ministries do not replace going to church, but they are a great place to find Christian community and serve the Lord on your campus. Being involved in a campus ministry like the BCM on campus has been very impactful on my college life so far, but there are so many different ministries available which means there is one that's right for you!

1. Everyone is about the same age.

These are people on your campus. They are going through a lot of the same things you are. This is a great place to find people that are like you. People who are trying to live differently. People who get together, worship together, talk about life together, and learn together. They also really like meeting new people and hearing your story, if you're willing to share it.

2. You don't have to be "good enough" to be a part.

There are so many organizations on college campuses that require recruitment, applications, and recommendations. Campus ministries are open to any and all students who want to come check them out! There are no membership fees. No applications to join. They want you to come as you are.

3. They sometimes have free food.

Who doesn't love free food?! Jesus and the disciples took the time to eat together, and campus ministries know that free food is near and dear to your heart.

4. You can get more involved in serving and volunteering.

With campus ministry, also come many missions opportunities. There are many ways that you can serve others while you are in college and have your summers off. Many campus ministries like to help you learn where you might want to plug in. You can always work at a summer camp and teach kids about Jesus, too. Find a place that you feel like God is leading you to serve, throughout the year or for the summer.

5. Meet people who really care about you.

A common issue that I have heard concerning why students don't want to go is that they feel like they will be judged. They think campus ministries are full of hypocrites. This just isn't the case. We all sin, the difference between us and "them" is that we know that sin is wrong. We repent of our sin, and try to live the way Jesus wants us to. Not everyone who goes to a campus ministry is going to be perfect. No one you will ever meet is going to be perfect. Give them a chance, because most of them really want to get to know you and build relationships with you.

6. They know how to have fun.

There are so many different activities that campus ministries do that you can participate in! Cookouts, bonfires, Halloween parties, game nights, massive games of Sardines, craft nights, movie nights, the list goes on forever. Events like these are a great way to meet new people and see if this ministry or group is one you might like to plug in to.

7. They have small group bible studies.

You may or may not have taken part in a small group before, but you definitely should try it out. Some campus ministries call them d-groups, which means "discipleship groups." The purpose of these small groups is to study the Bible together in a more intimate way and talk about questions people have and things they don't understand. These groups are usually very close-knit. They will pray with you and for you, and they want to know what is happening with you.

8. The people here want the same things you do.

College is a crazy time in life. Sometimes, it can be hard to stay on the right track. Having Christian friends on campus to help hold you accountable can really make a difference in your life. No matter what you are going through or what you may be struggling with, you can find someone who is dealing with this or has dealt with it in the past. You may not feel like you fit in here. Like all of these people have their lives together. They're here just like you, because no one truly has their life together. We all have to fully rely on God.

9. Worshipping and learning alongside other students is powerful.

There is nothing like being in a room full of other college students who are all singing praises to the name of Jesus. This is a safe place to be. You can let down your walls here, and let Jesus in. Worshipping in this environment might be different than what you are used to at your home church, or you might not have experienced worship amongst followers of Jesus before. It's a powerful thing, and one of my favorite things about being involved in my campus ministry.

10. You will make memories that last a lifetime.

I'm only a sophomore in college, and I have already experienced so much through my involvement at the BCM. I've met awesome people, made connections, served the Lord through mission trips, and grown in my faith. I encourage you to find a ministry on your campus that is right for you!

11. This is a place you can encounter Jesus.

"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” - Jesus (Matthew 18:20)

Here's a list of some Alabama universities with multiple campus ministries:

- Auburn

- Alabama

- Jacksonville State

- UAB

- UAH

- USA

- UNA

- Samford