New Year's Eve Midnight Kiss: The Reason Behind The Tradition

And Why You Don't Need To Kiss Someone At Midnight.
130

It is December 31st, the last day of the year. You're at a party, laughing it up and having fun with friends and new acquaintances. Suddenly, as the countdown to midnight begins, you scramble to find someone with whom to share the traditional New Year's Eve midnight kiss. If you’re lucky enough, you are able to lock lips with someone special as the clock strikes twelve and the fireworks go off. I use the term “lucky” simply because that is the main objective of the kiss. This tradition dates back to the Ancient Romans – 8th century BC. “Historians date the practice back to the Ancient Romans who would throw a big party every New Year’s Eve called the Festival of Saturnalia where they would kiss and generally debauch one another as much as possible.” KissingMatters. The English and Germans took it a step down, but not by much.

The meaning of this kiss has varied from superstition to just plain old fun. During their New Year’s celebrations, Europeans usually threw masked balls. At midnight the masks were removed, and people would grab and kiss the first person they saw to signify purification. There was also a meaning behind kissing the first person you saw. According to the folklore behind the tradition, the first person you met – and how you met – set the tone for the rest of your year. The superstition behind the kiss said that kissing those closest to you would strengthen your relationship.

Now you know why some people are so big on the midnight kiss.

Here are some reasons you don’t need to participate in this rather frightening, stressful tradition.

There Are Many Other (More Fun) Ways To Celebrate The Clock Striking 12

You’re already at a party. What could be more fun? I don’t think anyone would be willing to stop having fun to stress out about having someone to kiss. There are many other alternatives as well. You can pop fireworks, because that’s always fun, or play with sparklers. Even if you don’t have either, you can pop balloons. It probably sounds ridiculous, but imagine having a ton of balloons all blown up and just waiting for midnight. Unless you’re afraid of the sound of balloons popping, you’re in for a real treat.

What If You Kiss The Wrong Person?

Considering you don’t already have a significant other or someone you already planned on smooching, there’s always a chance that you just might grab the wrong person to kiss, a choice that might probably haunt you for the rest of the New Year. There are many reasons you could regret the person you chose. It could be an ex that you don’t exactly get along with; it could be a cute guy you later find out is a relative you never knew about; it could be the guy your crazy possessive cousin Chelsea has her sights set on.

You’ve Never Had To Do It Before. Don’t Start Stressing About It Now.

That on its own is reason enough. You don’t need to start the New Year pulling your hair out and running around.

Because You’re A Strong, Independent Woman Who Don’t Need No Man. Or Vice Versa.

Now this one I’ve heard a lot. You don’t need to kiss someone in order to have a good year. Many things could go wrong with that mindset. What if the person is a terrible kisser, or worse, has a horrid personality? For the rest of the year, that terrible kiss will linger in your mind, always causing you to be skeptical about kissing another person. Or even meeting new people.

Don’t let this article stop you though. If you want a new year's kiss, go for it. Or don't. You don't have to listen to me. I'm just one person.