How Writing Can Be An Effective Tool For Stress

"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it"- Jane Wagner

51

Darth Vader, Thanos, Hannibal Lecter, Freddy Krueger, there are many iconic villains that have haunted individuals for generations but the main villain of this story is stress. It's no secret that stress is out to get everyone and has delivered an unparalleled amount of damage to many. This year 2020, alone has been affecting a large majority of the populace on a very emotional level, which has brought on inquiries on how to deal with those emotions. Whether it is the unpredictable coronavirus or the unreasonable brutality of the police department, people are hurting.

Now people handle stress in many different ways and while I can't speak for everyone, I want to inform those who are struggling with my own tool in how to combat your stress and anxieties that can potentially come with the current situations happening in the world.

Whether it is a full scale story with fictional characters, dialogue, or simply a journal recounting the events of the past few months, writing can help individuals get through harsh events. Writing has provided me as well as many others an outlet to break free. Sometimes, life can be hard and being allowed some time to escape into Narnia or Hogwarts can be a major positive.

We all need that outlet that gives us time to recuperate and gear up for the next battle. For once in my life, I'm aware of what will happen without having to turn on the TV and being horrified by the unknown. I can turn a negative into a positive or vice versa. Having that creative space to be the creator is very refreshing and welcoming when the harsh realities of life has taken a tremendous toll. It's okay to take a break and come back later.

When used correctly, a pen or pencil will become more valuable than any class or medication.

Don't stray away from what may be on your mind, draw from that and build a story around it. A troubled mind tends to lead to the most interesting works. Suddenly, you want to see these people you create succeed and get a happy ending just as much as you do. The arcs these individuals go through inspire and encourage you to make changes to your own life.

There are times when I'd rather spend time with the fictional characters in my stories than a few of the ones in my life. You get to focus in on the dilemmas and stress of people other than your own for a change. A world with a better tomorrow in store for its citizens. It's nice to imagine.You channel the urges and feelings through the characters.

Just write and keep writing until the pain is longer existent and dissipates completely. With the stories I like to write, humor is going to have to be a major part of that. Writing that implements humor is a staple of mine.

The way that writing allows me to be in control of the world and characters I create is unrivaled, I know where the narrative begins and ends. All of the vivid emotions that have built up over the years and releasing them onto a sheet of paper to make a work of art.