Why I Write Every Day And Why You Should Too

“We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.” ― Anaïs Nin

14
pixabay

We all have our own creative outlet and way of self-expression. Once you find yours, you can use it to find balance and mindfulness when you need it most.

As far back as I can remember, I cannot recall a time where I struggled with writing. As a child, I wrote almost every day. I would effortlessly spew words onto pages, coming up with short stories and scripts and cards and songs and poems. I remember when I was in the first grade, I wrote a story around Halloween time and I drew pumpkins on every single page. When I finished, I ran into the kitchen to show my dad and he suggested we go out and purchase a stapler so that I could staple all the pages together. I remember how enthusiastic I was and I was inspired to keep writing short stories.

As I continued throughout elementary, middle and high school, writing became less about exercising my imagination and creativity and more about writing to get the grade and complete the assignment. It became less of a fun activity and more of a chore. Even though I was no longer interested in writing stories, I still craved the feeling of turning my thoughts into words and putting them onto paper. I always had plenty of journals, but I wasn't tempted to write in them until I tried writing down my thoughts instead of coming up with pieces that I wanted others to read.

This writing was for me and only me. When I first started writing in a journal, I recapped my days more than anything. While I began to get into the habit of writing four to five times a week, I noticed a few things. The first was that I can't read my own handwriting (solution was found later on) and the second was that I got the exact same relief as you do when you vent to a friend, minus the fear of their judgment or feedback. For me, that was quite alright. I started writing all of my feelings and why I believed that I felt that way. My goals, hopes, dreams and frustrations and anything else that entered my mind.

You might not find this surprising, but you can imagine how much I talk if I write this much; writing in my journal allows me to spill my heart--my wildest ideas and craziest dreams without any judgment. I can write for hours endlessly entertained by the ideas pouring out of my brain and the conclusions I can draw.

After years of writing in a hardcopy journal, I realized that it was extremely difficult to read what I wrote in past entries. I know, it sounds crazy but thoughts come faster than I can write them down. I now carry a paper journal for any quick notes and I keep an e-journal. Basically, a word document filled with thoughts, ideas, journal, prompts and probably all the keys to my heart, but at least I can read it! I am currently on page 105 with 52205 words since June 2016.

Between writing for my blogs, freelancing, school assignments and various essay contests, it is much easier for me to keep it in one place and if you can believe it, my creative outlet has even helped me earn money!

I truly believe that if you write it down, it comes to life. Even if you type it, you are changing the thought into words and that itself has a lot of power. When you write it, you see it. You feel it and visualize it. If you write anything, write down your goals so you can physically see them.

Take advantage of the fact you can clear your mind, set your goals, get things off your chest and even make decisions by writing. Start a journal and see where it takes you. Write whatever comes to mind and go from there. If you are having trouble, look forward to "A Journal Prompt for Every day of the Week" coming soon!