Why Working Retail During The Holidays Isn't The Worst

It's all Christmas, all the time.

37
Niko Random

The holidays are a crazy time for retail workers, that much is true.

Customers are darting in and out of stores seeking the perfect gift for their gift exchanges or searching for a cute outfit for their work parties. Product is leaving the shelves faster than it can be restocked and things just seem to be moving at an accelerated pace. This might make many people feel sorry for those working behind the register. We seem tired don't we? We seem a little bit frazzled right?

Well you are right about both of those things, but the truth is, holidays really aren't the worst for retail workers and let me tell you why.

1. The day goes by so much faster because you are busy.

Working those late night holiday hours aren't too bad when you've got dressing rooms to clean up, display cases to reorganize, product to stock, people to ring up, phones to answer, etc., etc. The holidays are so hectic with people coming in and out that you hardly have time to go to the bathroom.

2. You get to help people shop for Christmas gifts.

There is no better feeling than knowing you prevented someone from the getting the absolute wrong thing for their significant other. Oh you're shopping for your wife a dress and have no idea what her size is? Let's go look at the jewelry instead sir.

3. There are more hours to work, which means more money in your pocket.

We may be exhausted, but it's all worth it when that direct deposit hits.

4. All Christmas, all the time.

Right about Thanksgiving, things start to look a little Christmassy around the stores. Lights are hung, trees get put up and things just look a little bit more cheery. A common conversation starter with customers is, "Are you Christmas shopping today?" You literally get to talk about Christmas the entire time you're at work because as customers come and go, you can ask the same questions over and over again.

5. All your Christmas shopping gets done at your store.

With your employee discount and the fact that you know the place inside and out- gift giving is a breeze.

6. Because when all is said and done, you get to tell people that you survived the most wonderful time of the year.

What could be more merry than that?