Our Generation Can't Be Afraid Of The 'F Word': Failure

Why we should stop associating rejections with negative ideas and start associating them as positives.

103
flickr.com

Failure. Rejection. Let-down. Simply the word, "No." These are all words that up until recently would make my stomach turn flips and instantly send me into a panic. As a perfectionist, the idea of not succeeding in something I went for would scare me into not trying at all. But then it dawned on me. We ALL experience this in some way. This article is the way that I've decided to perceive "failure" from here on out.

There are many different ways we can "fail" in life. The most pressing way in my life lately, has been the fear of failing when it comes to evaluating my future in regards to my career. As my first semester of JUNIOR (wow) year comes to a close, it is so exciting that I am finally almost "a grown-up" about to really enter the real world and start my new phase of life. But with that excitement, a sense of fear has definitely crept in. Fear of getting those vital internships to lead me to my dream job. Fear of the competition between me and the hundreds of other brilliant, equally (if not more) qualified students that sit in my classes with me. Fear of the rejection that comes with each email informing me that "While you are a good fit, we are taking a different direction."

Now I know I am not the only one dealing with these pressures. With the first rejection from a program I applied for, it was not taken lightly. This go-around, I have chosen to change the way I process this "failure" and change that mindset to instead think "On to the next opportunity."

Think about it. Has anything you have ever really, really, truly wanted in life come the first time you asked it to? Did that amazing dream of yours that you wanted to come true so badly just magically become reality the next day? Unless you're really lucky (which most of us aren't), the answer is probably no. While I do believe in fate, and being in the right place at the right time, I believe more in the value of hard work. The way I've chosen to view it is that resiliency is a much more valuable characteristic to possess than luck.

It's easy to give up when some doors close on an opportunity you really wanted. As cliche as it sounds though, others doors always open. And another all too true cliche is "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take." This is something I have found is so important to remember. My fear of not being perfect caused me to just simply not try for positions that I didn't think I stood a chance for.

REALITY CHECK: You absolutely will not get that position if you don't ever apply!!! You're probably saying "well, duh." But think about it next time you're worried about trying something new, or throwing out an idea you think no one will like. You'll literally never know the outcome if you never try. I'll close this thought with one more cliche from my all-time favorite movie as a kid, Cinderella Story, starring the queen Hillary Duff herself: "Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

While I know the stress and pressure to live the best life we can is constantly weighing down on us, it's important to keep it in perspective. Instead of "rejection" think "new opportunity." Replace the idea that "you failed" with the idea that "you gained experience." Don't let the word "no" mean no and to stop there. Let it fuel you to think, "OK, so what's next?" and then go out and continue to work for that goal you have set your mind to.

All the money, luck, and even skills in the world can not take the place of hard work. Keep your mind healthy, positive, and focused on the end prize. Remember, no person who's known as a "great" has ever been called that on their first try. You have to take the bad with the good, and find a way to learn from every experience you go through. I've often heard that it's the way a person handles their negative experiences and trials that truly defines their character and abilities.

One final thought I'll close with is the peace that comes with knowing it is all part of a greater plan. While yes, I will continue to work diligently, seek every opportunity presented to me, and tenaciously strive to reach my goals I have for myself, I can rest assured knowing that my story is written by an all-knowing Author. God's plan for my life is already written, edited, and set in stone...the final copy just hasn't been released yet.

Just this past Sunday, I heard a thought during the service that stuck with me: "Believing is seeing, not seeing is believing." I took away the idea that I do not have to see every plan, every accomplishment laid out before me to believe that I have been taken care of by Him and that I'm ultimately successful. Instead, I have to believe in His ways, and have faith in His detailed plan for me, for my ultimate successes to be revealed.

Just remember, "failure" doesn't have to be a big, bad scary word that we all have to be afraid of. It is a part of life that even the greatest of the great have experienced. Hearing "no" does not mean "I am not good enough". It means: I am more than great for something else out there. Now it's up to you to keep your head up and go try again to find it.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." — Jeremiah 29:11
"This is what the Lord says: You know if a man falls down, he gets up again." — Jeremiah 8:4
"Trust the Lord with all your heart, and don’t depend on your own understanding. Remember the Lord in all you do, and he will give you success." — Proverbs 3:5-6