Why We Should Not Be Afraid Of The Bad Things Happening Around Us

It's a hard thing to do.

8
© 2016 THE VERSES PROJECT

This morning, I made the mistake of going online and reading the news. I don't read a whole lot of news articles (unless it pops up on my Facebook newsfeed), so I was pretty surprised at how many bad things popped up. Here are just a few of the headlines that I scrolled through:

At Least 5 Officers Dead, Several Shot During Dallas Protest

US Capitol on Lockdown, Police Searching For Individual

Roswell Police: Man in Passing Car Fires Gun at Officer on Patrol

Atlanta Actress Murdered Before Birthday

ISIS Boils Its Fleeing Fighters Alive in Iraq

And there are so many more unsettling stories. It is really discouraging (and scary) to read about all of these bad things that are happening around us.

But here's the good news — we are not alone. God is on our side.

Psalm 37:1-2

Do not fret because of those who are evil or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon die away.

Psalm 37: 7

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him;
do not fret when people succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Psalm 37:9

For those who are evil will be destroyed,
but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.

Psalm 37:13

But the Lord laughs at the wicked, for He knows their day is coming.

Psalm 4:4

I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

John 16:33

I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In the world you have trouble and suffering, but take courage — I have conquered the world.

Sometimes it's hard to remember these verses. I'm not gonna lie, I got completely freaked out reading the news articles thinking, "What if it happens to me?"

Here's the thing — God has already won. There is no war to be fought, because He has conquered the world. In God we find peace, courage and joy. Satan is trying so desperately to get inside of our heads, but we need to always remember God is with us, and we will not fall.

2 Timothy 4:18

The Lord will deliver me from every evil deed and will bring me safely into His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory for ever and ever! Amen.