We Really Don't Change

We Really Don't Change

We just become who we are.

9
We Really Don't Change
Meghan Horrell

Change in a world like today is almost unavoidable; from all of the technology advances and issues with social media, we constantly feel as though we have to meet another person's expectations. This however, to me, is absolutely ridiculous because no outside influence should pressure you to change anything about yourself to meet a societal demand. Change is not always a bad thing, but recently I had a conversation with someone on the topic of change and what was said really changed my perspective on change: "I really don't believe that people change, I think that other people or outside influences help us become who we're supposed to be. I really think that we don't necessarily change, but that we grow based on our experiences." I had always been a person who believed that people could actually change who could completely change who they are, however I no longer believe this.

If we believe that influences or people push us to become who we are supposed to be why should they change us? How can we be our full self with being unaware of how we change ourselves to meet someone else's standard? In regards to these questions I really feel as though actions, and life lessons are the only ways to realize that a particular influence is changing or is misappropriating our self-image. Change is something that every human being will experience as they grow and learn all of the challenges or lessons the life seems to offer us. Being aware of a societal or social influence can help us decide who we really are simply by acknowledging why we are or are not behaving in a certain manner.

To me change is really something that life demands, but "I refuse to change". I refuse to change because I think that if we are aware of who we believe we are then what gives someone the right to change your entire being? I find it extremely disheartening to hear that girls in particular, will change their entire persona to meet a societal demand. No one or no thing should have the ability to make you feel insecure because you do not live up to their standard of who you should be. Personally I am currently living a multitude of changes from not speaking to old friends, attempting to meet and make new friends, and trying to make the best of college while trying to remain who I know that I am to be. Life is full of learning oppurtunities, but we also have to learn to remain who we are and continue to be 100 percent ourselves.