Why We Need A Show Like "Dear White People" On Netflix

Across the internet, I have witnessed what I like to call ignorance... So, I address it.

Across the internet, I have witnessed what I like to call ignorance; now, these could very well be trolls (the internet is known for them). However, they are annoying trolls (if they are). This new Netflix show titled, "Dear White People" came out... well a trailer, not even the show yet. This has gotten everyone (mostly the white people in America) in a rage over how the show is "racist" or "anti-white," or whatever they said it was. I tend to tune them out.

Being a black female in this world and seeing the previous film of the same title (which I call one of my favorite films), I don't see anything particularly racist about the trailer. The trailer did not even appear to be racist, in fact, it was exactly the premise of the show. Everyone has their panties in a bunch, though, because the director of the show tweeted "Fuck White People!"

Does that make him racist? The film talks about black people being "racist." Does that mean the show is racist? No. Twitter is a social media, the same people that are complaining about the director tweeting what he did - are the same people who are trolls. So, all and all, I am not entirely sure where the argument is...? If you want to be a troll and say similar things, but about black people, then I don't understand...?

The film is satire if you have not seen it (which I am sure you have not). It is actually a great film to watch; white and black alike. You could learn something from it. The film is about a main character named Samantha "Sam" White (Tessa Thompson) who is dating a white guy but tries to stand up for her blackness at the same time. She is of a mixed-breed herself, so that makes her black and something else.

However, Sam battles with trying to be woke, while dating a white guy undercover because she does not want to be judged for dating a white guy. The constant battle of thinking she should date a black guy to be accepted more in the black community as opposed to a white guy. Although, the white guy is extremely woke and an advocate for black lives on campus. All and all, at the end of the film, she comes out with the fact that she is dating a white guy and is okay with it. While realizing, you can be woke and be dating a white guy at the same time.

This is not the entire movie, though, the movie also touches on topics about blackface. How it is wrong to do blackface. How we should NOT do blackface. Under any circumstance. The film also touches on topics about being the "white-black girl" and how being ghetto is more appropriate than being the "white-black girl." No one wants to have a white-washed-black-girl as a friend, they want a ghetto black girl with a weave. In order to fit in you have to be ghetto and over-the-top, this allows for white people to make fun of you without you knowing it. You have "friends" though, right? So, that's what matters?

The reason why I am giving you a synopsis of the film is because I want to show you how NOT racist it is. It actually shows you how black people cannot be racist - "because we do not stand to benefit from such a system." It also touches on the topic of a black man dating a white female and how white girls tend to fetishize black men for their... you know what's (penis). It shows us that fetishizing is real and it's not only a pigment of black girls and guys imagination. It is real.

It shows us how our (black) parents can force us to get an education based on what they think people will perceive our intelligence as. Black people are considered to be dumb, unintelligent, and ratchet all the damn time - black parents force their kids to go to college and get a degree in something that will make people think otherwise. "Dear White People" is more than a satire, it is a film that is completely underrated. This film is far from racist. The trailer might not have done it justice, but it is far far from being racist.

It even touches on the gay black community in the film, something that is rarely (if at all) talked about. This film is more than just a racist film you made it out to be. This is satire at it's best; but, satire that is becoming real in a matter of seconds. This entire film is satirical, but also low-key realistic. I mean...

The one thing white people do not realize is that - it is showing exactly what it wants to show. Racism. And that is exactly what we got from the comments on the trailer. People who think racism is dead are wrong. It is not. This trailer shows exactly that. What we see are white people defending blackface and cultural appropriation. I mean I have defended some messed up shit in my time - but, never have I defended racism. So, y'all mean to tell me blackface is okay? Making your face look like mine is okay? I mean, if we did whiteface y'all would be starting a war; but, that is some different tea for a different time.

If a film called "Dear Black People" was made, it would be racist. Why? Well, because white people would find a way to make it racist. It would be about how black people go to jail because of weed more than white people. How black people kill other black people in the black community. Plus other statistics that are dumb and uninformed. Unlike white people, we don't stand to gain off of someone else's misfortune. As black people, we simply speak the truth. We do not like to be culturally appropriated and we do not like blackface. How is that outlandish to say?

"Dear White People" is titled to the people who need to see the truth. I am sorry if that offends you, but have you not realized by now that we don't really care? Since when has a black person cared about what a white person has said? I mean, you can save your breath. We are still going to make the show and if you cancel your Netflix account that's on you. I will still be watching "A Different World" with or without you.

If you thought racism was dead, you are most definitely blind. How a trailer that said in the first five seconds "dressing up as our skin is not okay" got this much backlash is beyond me. Blackface is still alive and well and thank gosh this show is coming out because we need now it more than ever.