Reasons Why We Miss College Football

7 Reasons Why We Miss College Football

With football season just around the corner, the anticipation continues to build for students and fans alike.

24
7 Reasons Why We Miss College Football
Megan Landon

Michigan State University is well-known for its athletic programs, and it seems that our football team is headed in an upward direction this season after coming off of a huge turnaround season in 2017 that defined the resilience and ability to get back up off the ground when knocked down after a pretty awful 2016 season. In 2018, different polls have the Spartans either ranked in the pre-season top 10 or 15, and that gives us hope for even more improvement this fall. As the countdown to football season continues, here are seven things that we miss most about Spartan football.

1. Tailgates

When the streets of East Lansing are bustling with fans from all over the country yelling "Go green!" and "Go white!" back and forth, it just makes me smile from ear to ear. Going to tailgates with students and friends who all love the Spartans just as much as I do makes me so confident that I chose the right school, and makes me look forward to football season even more.

2. Game day attire

Sporting green and white every Saturday is so much fun, and the student section t-shirt that comes along with the season tickets is always a good one to wear to games. Getting all dolled up and ready on game day is actually an event all on its own, from hair dye to beads to face stickers and body paint, most people go all out to support our football team. Something about it just feels magical.

3. Rivalry games

This season, Michigan State gets to host both Michigan and Ohio State. There's nothing like hosting a rivalry game, especially one that's in-state and fans butt heads everywhere. Games like those are almost sure to be nail-biters, and fans remember them for years to come. "Woah, he has trouble with the snap, and the ball is free! It's picked up by Michigan State's Jalen Watts-Jackson. And he scores! On the last play of the game! Unbelievable!" 27-23.

4. Night games

Night games are just special. There is something in the crisp, fresh air that makes night football games unlike any other sporting event. Everyone is bundled up and cheering loudly, and the anticipation from the entire day of waiting has been built up so much that we all can't wait for the excitement of the game. Nighttime football is truly a treasure.

5. Cheering in the student section

Being surrounded by so many other students cheering on the same team that you are so proud of is one of my favorite parts of football season. When a good play happens and the entire student section goes wild, that is a moment that you'll never forget.

6. Fall weather

Every season has its pros and cons, but football season truly has the perfect weather. A nice, cool afternoon with a sweatshirt and leaves falling is truly the best way to celebrate a nice Spartan win. Fall weather makes you think of football and it makes me so excited to get back to school and cheer on my favorite football team.

7. Watching a pre-season top 10 team

I know many people who go to football games just for the experience, but it is amazing to watch a really good football team. Last season, Michigan State came off of one of the worst seasons in school history, and they were actually on the rise. This season, many different polls for pre-season rankings either have the Spartans in the top 10 or top 15. Either way, with so many returning players, I can't wait to get back out to East Lansing and Spartan Stadium to cheer for our highly anticipated football team.