Why Wanting To Be An Artist Deserves More Respect

Society seems to think that pursuing the arts is a bad thing for a person and they disrespect it. Here's why wanting to be an artist deserves more respect.

515
UNITED Photography

As kids, we were always told what is "possible" and what isn't "possible". One kid said, "I want to be the President of the United States!" or "I want to be a doctor!" and all of those were accepted. But the moment the one kid says "I want to be an actor!" or "I want to be a dancer" or "I want to be a dancer" or just "I want to be an artist!" we are told to choose something else that is realistic and is "possible". From an early age people are discouraged from wanting to pursue the arts. And if they still want to pursue the arts then they immediately are told to have a backup. Many of you might remember the Wells Fargo advertisement that received a lot of backlash from the artistic community. "A ballerina yesterday. An engineer today. Let's get them ready for tomorrow." Wells Fargo did apologize and said it was not meant to be taken that way, however it's kind of hard not to take it... that way. Wells Fargo in this situation did exactly what society does: degrade the artists and the profession and does not think of the profession as an artist to be serious.

When society thinks of people wanting to be an artist, they think the only successful and way to be an artist is to be the next Tom Hanks or next Kristen Chenoweth. Now yes, everyone would love to be the next Tom Hanks or Kristen Chenoweth and they work to be the next one. However, to be an artist you can still be so successful and not be the next Tom Hanks or Kristen Chenoweth. The top 1% of artists is what society thinks of. They don't realize that there are endless possibilities in the arts. You can be lead roles, supporting roles, chorus roles, and so much more in shows and movies. There are also endless possibilities with other types of art. And no matter where you go there is always art.

Just like any job, a lot of the time you work your way from the bottom to the top. With the arts I wouldn't call it the "bottom" because everything in the arts is very much needed, however you can start in smaller shows then work your way up until you have reached your goals and then keep going. You can build up your resume just as any other job would need.

The people who follow in the path of the arts are pursuing their dreams. It's the thing that stops time for them. The thing that lets them get away from the world and just do what love to do. They are brave. They are strong. They are doing what so many people are not. And that is following their dreams. Too many people get discouraged and do not follow their true dreams and then they are not happy at all. Artists are brave. They do what so many people do not do. They follow their dreams they have had since they were so young. And yes, it is a very hard journey. But what dream doesn't have obstacles? Artists train non stop to be the very best they could be. As one of my acting teachers, Michael Perilstein, says: "Acting is the pursuit of infinity". You're always working for something more, something better. Artists stand for something. Artists tell stories. They open minds and can change how someone feels.

So in all, why does wanting to be an artist deserve more respect? Because it's so important to be an artist. It is realistic. It is important.