Why "Twenty-Fun" Is Overrated

Why "Twenty-Fun" Is Overrated

It is all fun and games until you turn 21.

143
Why "Twenty-Fun" Is Overrated

If you know anything about me, you know that I started the countdown to my 21st birthday the day that I turned 19. Eager was an understatement. For some reason I was convinced that 21 was going to reveal a whole new world to me. This fantasy world I envisioned was filled with endless (free) alcohol, no hangovers, no weight gain and no rules. I am here to tell you that I was wrong. Very wrong. I have been 21 for almost three weeks at this point. It has been filled with many things and I am going to tell you all about them.

Unlimited choices does not mean unlimited money.

You know all of the money that you use to spend on Chipotle, Panera, Moes etc. Kiss those days goodbye. Yes, as a 21 year old you have unlimited choices as to what types of alcohol you can buy. However, unless your 21st birthday also presented you with a money tree, you will find yourself in a constant predicament trying to decide if you want a burrito or a 30 rack. Unfortunately the liquor normally wins.

The hangovers only get worse.

Who ever told you that hangovers get better with age is a liar and should be eliminated from your friend circle immediately. It''s a lie. As you get older, you may find better remedies to combat hangovers but trust me you will need them. To this day I have never met an adult who doesn't get hangovers.

More alcohol = bigger pants.

When you turn 21 I am willing to bet that you're going to drink more and unless you plan on creating a rigid workout schedule, you can expect to gain a couple pounds. There are those select few that can eat and drink everything in sight and maintain their size zero, but thats unrealistic and you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Where is the thrill?

As annoying as it was to contact an elder every time you needed to get alcohol, it had an element of fun. The thought of defying the laws made you temporarily feel like a rule breaker. Not only that, but you never had to get in a car and drive to the store and get the alcohol. It was like an alcohol delivery system. Well... THATS OVER! You don't have any more birthdays to look forward to, and if you want alcohol... you have to get off your ass and drive to the liquor store.

You make so many new friends... just kidding!

I'm not going to lie, you are going to feel a little more popular once word gets out that you are 21. This isn't because you were graced with an awesome personality on your 21st birthday... It is because you now posses the greatest gift of all, the gift of a license that can legal purchase you any kind of alcohol you want. These people want you for your abilities which isn't nice. This is illegal, so do not do it.

Overall, 21 is OBVIOUSLY fun for the first few weeks and for some I imagine it may never lose its thrill. However, for the majority of us, it is just another landmark in our life that we look forward to reaching. Don't max out your credit cards, don't buy for minors, don't binge drink and don't make any important decisions when drinking. Live up your 21st and remember that Pedialyte is the cure to all hangovers.