It's time we change the way we think about unity
Politics

What Is Wrong With Humanity That We Only Unite When Horrific Tragedies Occur?

152
https://pixabay.com/en/sunrise-space-outer-space-globe-1756274/

As I watched the news for what seemed like a solid month of hurricane coverage, I questioned why was it that destruction is the only thing that brings people together? We have our social disagreements and political battles, but when it comes to a disaster, we care for one another. Slowly as the tides receded, so did our compassion and we were back at it again with our political debates and our hateful words until another tragedy, like Las Vegas, happened to bring us back together again. Why does it always take a tragedy for us to find unity?

With the recent natural disasters and the terrorist attack on Las Vegas, we find ourselves looking for the good. Looking for these heroic moments where people have stepped in and risked themselves for others. We try to find comfort in knowing that we are good people and that we stepped up to the plate when we were needed, but why is it always in an act of desperation? Why does it take the loss of life for us to see that we can be good? Why does it take an attack on all of us to put our differences aside to be able to help others? Why do we have to find ourselves in tragic moments to find the beauty in the world?

Call it an act of God or just call it a coincidence, but doesn't it seem as though history is continuing to repeat itself because we haven't learned anything from it? After every natural disaster or terrorist tragedy in history, we have changed our behavior and our course of action for a short time after, but we always fall back into our old ways. We always go back to our battles and hateful ways, forgetting about the compassion we once had and the love that we had just felt for one another.

It isn't until another random act of hate happens again that we are able to see what we had done wrong, but we still aren't fully able to change our ways.

The recent news hasn't shown anything about the NFL protests or riots against the police. It hasn't had any talk of the war against taxes or new health care bills. It hasn't even shown us any updates on the Kardashian pregnancies because we have refocused on what truly matters in this world: us coming together to show support for our people. As a country, as an act of love, as an act of humanity. We need to refocus on what really matters in this world before we go back to our old ways and let history repeat itself again.

Lesson to be learned: we need to stop requiring a tragedy to bring us together. Life is too short and too precious to continue to keep repeating the same mistakes that we have made in the past. We need to live in the moment, love the ones that you are with and thank God every single day for the extra breaths that you have been given to take. We need to show more compassion on a daily basis and realize that life is a gift, so show your appreciation for it and the others around you.

Regardless, please pray for those suffering from recent attacks to the hurricane victims who are still suffering. Those are the ones that deserve all of our prayers right now. If their loss doesn't make you learn to appreciate life, I don't know what will. We need to first learn how to spread positivity and love before these tragedies even occur in order to actually be one big, happy human family. Sure, there is always going to be negativeness around us, but you need to learn how to look over that and start to look at the positive things.