Why This Election Is An Insult To Young Voters

This election is an insult to my intelligence and other Millennials.

12
U.S. News

When I was a young kid, I watched President Bush on the TV and thought, "Wow, I'm going to be able to vote for a leader as great as him when I'm eighteen, I can't wait!" Well, now I'm about to be twenty years old and I can say without hesitation that I would rather write Bernie Sanders's name in wet cement than vote for either of the two candidates that are running in this election.

When I first saw Donald Trump on the news talking about building a wall that divided Mexico from the United States, it didn't appall me. It made my brow narrow, but I thought it was just some publicity stunt of his to get even more money than he already has. Each week though, it was something even more ridiculous than the week prior. I heard Trump telling his supporters to attack anyone at his rallies that tried to protest against him and that he'd pay for their legal fees. At that, surely he'd be disqualified from the presidency for inciting violence amongst a crowd, right? No.

The reports got worse as 2015 turned 2016. His supporters grew from a small bunch of angry, closeted racists to a booming Klans meeting without the white hoods. Two of Trump's biggest supporters are Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean Dictator Kim Jong-Un. I feel like this should've been a red flag to some of Trump's supporters, but obviously this is not the case.

It sickened me to hear Trump's plan to "bomb the shit out of ISIS" along with "taking out their families." Along with mocking a disabled reporter and promoting sexual violence against women with his infamous "grab her by the pussy" audio clip, I was outraged at Trump's support of the stop-and-frisk method of policing.

Racial tensions are at an all time high during my life time. It's bad enough that I see articles every week detailing events of police officers killing an unarmed civilian, but the use of this method would create an even bigger gap between the public and police officers.

As much as I dispise Trump, I am far from casting my vote for Hillary Clinton. It has nothing to do with her email scandal (well it partially does), it has to do with the Pennsylvania Caucus. As a native to the Philadelphia area, I'm aware there is more to PA than just Philly. But after attending both Clintons' and Sanders' political rallies within Philadelphia, I was outraged when I heard that Clinton won PA.

I will never forget going to that Bernie Sanders rally. The line of people stretched from the Liacouras Center at Temple University all the way to the Checkers on the corner of Girard and Broad. If you're not familiar with Philly's streets, that's about six blocks from the Liacouras Center.

After waiting three hours in the cold, my friends and I got to the front of that line and was told that they could not fit anymore people. The Liacouras Center was all filled up with people. Just when we were about to walk back to my friends dorm, Sanders' staff came running by yelling out that they're opening up a SECOND building. That's two buildings that Bernie filled up, the two buildings being the Liacouras Center and the Temple University Recreational Center.

15,000 people packed two buildings to hear one nice old man talk about how he wants to help get students out of college loans, stop fracking, and creating fair taxes amongst the people. I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty damn great to me.

Weeks later, I'm walking to the train station from University of the Arts's campus and what do I find out is happening at City Hall? Hillary Clinton is having a rally. Instead of going home and getting end of the semester work done, I stood outside City Hall for three hours protesting against Clinton. Not once did I see the line of people waiting to see her touch Market or Broad Street. These are the streets connecting to City Hall, you'd think that with someone as big as Clinton would've at least had a longer line than that?

As a child, I firmly believed that everyone's vote mattered. Everyone had say in who would be leader of this great country, I think that should be a given right. No matter what your creed, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, etc., everyone has the right to voice their opinion on who their leader is. After reading more reports of people in different states saying their vote was not counted, I can't help but feel lied to by our government for telling people to go out and vote and not count everyone in.

As this election comes to close, I refuse to vote for the man who divided our country in two and the woman who could be considered the inspiration for Netflix's hit series House of Cards. I feel insulted that my only two options for President are evil in their own ways and either one being in office may have devastating results to our country. This is what I looked forward too when I was a kid? An election filled with childish remarks and the division between families and neighbors? This is a bad joke I'd never laugh at.