Why The "Finsta" Trend Is Everything

Why The "Finsta" Trend Is Everything

How "finstagram" is revolutionizing social media.

99
Why The "Finsta" Trend Is Everything

If you're an avid Instagram user like myself, you are likely no stranger to the latest social media craze; the "finsta". For those who aren't so familiar, finsta is a contraction of "fake Instagram", and it serves as a secondary Instagram account that many use to take an often-necessary break from the picture perfect expectation that comes with a typical Instagram account. While one's real Instagram (often referred to as "rinsta") is home to well-edited pictures with meticulously planned out captions, a finsta typically houses the embarrassing and funny posts that you'd only dare show your closest friends. While some criticize finsta accounts for being inappropriate and unnecessary, I think the finsta is a wonderful a comedic outlet that works towards breaking down the pressure to present yourself as perfect on social media.

Don't get me wrong, I love social media, but it definitely has a dark side. When hearing mention of social media's "dark side", you may assume I'm talking about underground drug deals or something similarly dark and terrifying. But no - to me, social media's dark side is just the opposite; it is the Instagram picture of girls laughing on the beach, the tweet detailing a fun experience with friends, and the family vacation photo album on Facebook. Why? I can almost guarantee that at some point you have seen a social media post and thought, "why am I not having as much fun as them?" or "why doesn't my body look as nice as hers?"

Sure, we have been taught to know our own worth and not compare our unique lives with others', but is this goal really attainable with comparison-triggering social media posts shoved in our faces at all time? Social media fuels the insecurity that is already so prevalent among teenagers, and I theorize that the recent rise in anxiety, depression, and body dysmorphic tendencies among young adults can be attributed to just this. Because social media is primarily used to flaunt the positive aspects of our lives, it is so easy to forget that the people we idolize online also have their bad days and are likely fighting their own battles.

So hey, quit hating on finstas. Social media can really take a toll on self confidence, and I think it's pretty dope that finstas provide a medium to break down that toxic barrier that is plaguing the malleable minds of teens.