Living in a Dorm is Awesome

Why The Dorm Life Sucks, And Why It's Also Awesome

There's pros and cons to everything, even the dorm life.

55
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmUC1MlHTe_/?taken-by=etherealexpression

The "dorm life" may not be for everyone – but most people have to go through it at some point in their college career.

Why it sucks:

1. There's little-to-no privacy.

Not only will you have very little privacy, but you will have to put up with listening to the people above, below or your next door neighbors and whatever they're doing. Sometimes, it'll be blasting music on a school night or having raging sex that you can hear through the walls – whether you're the one hearing it or the one perpetrating the invasive and uncomfortable noises and sounds – if there's one thing the dorm life teaches you is that walls are paper thin and that privacy should be cherished.

2. Shared bathrooms/showers suck.

I don't know about everyone else, but it is just so devastating when I'm trying to take a shower and all of a sudden someone is taking a smelly shit. There's no escaping the smell or the discomfort if you're in the middle of your shower. You just have to push through and survive it.

3. Nightmare roommates

The roommate experience can go one of two ways: either you have the time of your life and become life-long friends, or it gradually goes downhill and you finish the semester stressed, upset and feeling like you never want to see your roommate ever again. Nightmare roommates are real, and random pairing can be great and it can also be awful.

Why it can also be awesome...

1. You meet different people, with different backgrounds and interests and you get to bond with them in a shared space.

Whether it's your roommate or your neighbors or anyone else on your floor, the opportunity to build close relationships and get to know people you might not normally interact with is a big perk of living in a dorm.

2. Your food is already made for you.

If you live in a dorm than you most likely have a meal plan. Meal plans can be a huge DOWNSIDE of the dorm life – they're overpriced and food isn't always amazing – but if there's one silver lining to it, it's the simple fact that the food is already prepared for you. You can choose from all sorts of food and don't have to worry about making it yourself. Sure, dining hall food can be a pain in the ass and you're bound to get tired of it quicker than you expect – but it's still easy already-made-for-you food. After a tiring of work or studying, having to still take the time to prepare your own food can truly suck.

3. You're really close to the center of campus and to your classes.

Living off-campus or in an apartment can be fun and a new taste of independence, but seriously tho... waking up five minutes before class? That's only a luxury you can afford to have if you live in dorms. Those extra five minutes of sleep can make such a huge difference in your day!