Why I Support 13 Reasons Why

Why I Support 13 Reasons Why

Sheltering our kids needs to stop

113
Why I Support 13 Reasons Why
destiny via walldevil.com

I contemplated not writing this because I feared what kind of backlash I'd get....but here I am writing this. The ONLY thing I ask of you if you choose to continue reading is that if you have any negative comments, that you keep them to yourself.

The following is what I wrote in the notes app on my phone because I was going to post it to Facebook since it's such a big topic right now. However, I did not post it because I knew that even though I asked that no argumentative comments were made on my post and to private message me if anyone wanted to discuss what I wrote, I knew that there would be that one person that would comment and honestly, I just didn't feel like being criticized because I actually liked what they might not have. So, here is what I wrote: Thursday morning, April 20th at 3:14 am, I finished watching 13 Reasons Why. I kind of did it "backwards" and watched first instead of reading, however, I am going to be getting the book as soon as possible. Watching it though...I'm speechless. To me, I feel like the cast did a very good job of helping to bring the issue of bullying(among other things that so many people want to ignore), into the light. Bullying is the very reason I started PA Cyber in 4th grade and it's because, despite a group of us students who were all being bullied or had been bullied at some point by the same person, went to the guidance counselor-my mom was called (and I believe that the other students parents were called as well). And unfortunately, the bullying that kids experience nowadays is starting younger and younger and becoming worse and worse. We are not meant to be these hateful people who constantly have something to say about one another, we are meant to look after each other, be there for each other and love each other. If you don't agree with something that I have written, I ask that no argumentative comments are made on the actual post, if you would like to discuss anything with me please message me privately. I love all of you and remember that no matter what the sun will always rise the next day.

As I stated, I still need to read the book- which I plan on doing once the semester is done. Naturally, and from different interviews with the cast that I've read, some things had to be dramatized more because it was going to be on tv. Like I also stated, they bring topics that most people aren't comfortable with talking about into the light...IT NEEDED TO HAPPEN. We have to stop sugar-coating everything and let the topics we aren't comfortable with or would rather ignore be talked about.

Someone, I did get permission from them to put this in here, that I am friends with, who also is a parent, posted this: "Just got done watching 13 reasons...if you are a parent, a teacher, a guidance counselor or a teen you should watch this show. We as parents have no idea what these kids go through on a regular basis. And I hope and pray that my kids feel that they can come to me with any issue but even I know that most kids don't go to their parents or even guidance counselors. They usually go to their peers and friends. We can try to protect our kids from everything but the best way to protect our kids is to educate them about what to watch for and hope and pray that they listen and follow your advice. I want to thank the school district for sending that letter to us parents...not because I agree with what it said but it did make me watch it. We as parents need to educate ourselves and realize that life is totally different for our kids today than it was for us when we went to school. Yes there was the same issues (bullying, drugs, drinking and suicide) but we had something that most kids today don't have. Parents who don't try to protect us and shelter us and try to be friends with us. We need to be parents!! I have multiple kids at my house on an everyday basis and I hope that they know that I am there for ANY of them at ANYTIME. And to my own kids...I am sorry if I ever tried to protect you and shelter you from certain issues."

Sheltering kids is not, I repeat, not going to do them or anyone else any good. My own mom made herself a promise that she was always going to be open with me and that I could always come to her no matter what. She has held true to her promise and has been very open and real with me as I've grown up for which I am very thankful for.

We can't just keep letting these, if I may quote the movie The Village, "Those we don't speak of" things happen and not talk about them. Sexual assault is real. Suicide and the pain and wondering that happens to the people left behind is real. Bullying is real. There is so so much more that I could add to this list, but that is for a different article. Take advantage of counselors, hotlines, parental advice, don't be afraid to say something if you think someone is struggling. We need to start having the discussions out in the open.