Why Should You Travel and Explore?

Why Should You Travel and Explore?

The best things in life happen to be free, you just have to find them.

27
Why Should You Travel and Explore?
Cailey Walls

Let’s go exploring they said, it will be fun they said. For me in particular, exploring and wanderlust are my equivalent of an addiction. I like to live the way dreamers live. I, like many others, have a travel Bucket List. It's probably longer than a child’s Christmas list, and just as long as the Great Wall of China. The only problem is that with dreams this big you run into reality. I don’t have enough wealth to follow those dreams. So I dream on, with hopes of traveling the world one day.

But why wait to explore? There are ways to live your life where you don’t have to wait. People always say that the great outdoors are right in your backyard, so take advantage of opportunities you come across!

“She is free in her wildness, she is a wanderess, a drop of free water. She knows nothing of borders and cares nothing for rules or customs. 'Time' for her isn’t something to fight against. Her life flows clean, with passion, like fresh water.” Roman Payne

Most of the time when we are hiking, we don’t find the joys in it, because we are too busy trying to not pass out. Or better yet, trip, get lost, or something along those lines.

For me, I am not an experienced hiker by any means, but that’s part of the sick joy I get. Getting lost to me sounds fun. Of course not truly lost. But, not always knowing where you are, or exploring somewhere you have never been before leaves me wanting to go more places.

“Because he had no place he could stay in without getting tired of it and because there was nowhere to go but everywhere, keep rolling under the stars...” Jack Kerouac, On the Road

I have only hiked twice so far. The closest thing you get to the great outdoors in Queens is Forest Park Nature Trails. Each time I go on these mini little adventures I leave with the sick craving for more. Each time I hiked I was definitely out of shape, but it is the adrenaline that keeps me going. I enjoy hiking for the scenery. That passion inside me that wants to photograph everything does often leads me to film my whole hike, even though people say some experiences are better left un-photographed. People also say it's important to truly be present when you are doing these things. I think that is definitely something as a society we need to remember, and practice more. We live in the age of social media. Constantly we are snap chatting so now everyone must know when I woke up, and when I went to bed, and what sandwich I ate for lunch at around 2:45. Sounds ridiculous but very true. People always say, “the view is worth the climb”, and I am starting to believe that when I hike that's always the truth, even though it might not seem that way on the way there.

I have traveled out of the country, and there is no experience quite like it. If you haven’t done so at least once in your life, I would definitely recommend it! I traveled to Greece with my high school and got to experience another culture firsthand. I also got to see historic sites that make what you learn in a textbook so much more interesting and interactive. Even if you don’t leave your own country, definitely travel to a new state or town. Go someplace you have never experienced before. Recently I went to a Leadstrong meeting for my college, and they talked about vulnerability in people. Why do we not put ourselves out there? It’s because we like to stick with what we are comfortable with. It goes along with traveling. Traveling puts you in the position to be vulnerable to a different culture, and environment you haven’t known before. I think in some ways that scares people into not traveling. But I think those individuals are missing out. If you limit yourself to only what you know, you are missing out on personal growth. So set out on your own adventure or journey and also step outside of your comfort zone, it may surprise you the things you discover. I am coming for you Europe!