Why You Should Call Home More Often

When we go away to college, our families want us to immerse ourselves in the campus culture and fall in love with our schools. However, sometimes it becomes so easy to get caught up in our own busy lives that we forget to communicate with our loved ones back home. While it is true that college is a time for finding yourself, there is something to be said about keeping in touch with your roots as well. 

All it takes is a quick five minute phone call while you are walking to class to let somebody know that you miss them. If you don't have the time every day to talk to multiple family members, call a different relative each day of the week. Send your mom a quick text to tell her something happy that happened to you today, and tell her you love her. Text your brother or sister and ask how they are. Call your grandparents every once in a while. Family is forever, but these relationships still take nurturing to ensure their health.

I find it easiest to get a hold of my parents. My mom and I talk on the phone constantly. It has been harder, in my experience, to talk to my brothers regularly. One of them is a college student as well, and is just as busy as I am. The other one is seven years old, and is usually too busy running around outside to come to the phone. With siblings, I think communication is much more difficult in general. The best thing to do in order to stay up to date on your siblings' lives is to set a specific time each week when you can catch up over the phone or on FaceTime. This way, you can be sure both your sibling and you are available at the same time. 

Even if you aren't someone who gets homesick often, it is important to call home regularly. While you may not be homesick at the moment, your family may be missing you more than you know. All they want is to hear your voice. A phone call can take hardly any time at all. Something as simple as a quick "I miss you!" can make all the difference.