Why A Semi-Long Distance Relationship is Still Hard

60 miles may not be much, but it's enough to make things complicated.

1351

First off, I’m not here to say that I have it harder than anyone else, or that anyone has a more difficult relationship than I do. Second, the article is named “Semi-Long Distance” for a reason; he only lives about 60 miles away, not across the globe. Ok, now on to the actual article.

1. He works, and I work. But I work usually mornings and early afternoons, and he usually works early afternoon to late at night. Though, this isn’t specific to all semi-long distance relationships I’m sure it’s still a factor for most, because let’s face it: we all have to work while in college nowadays.

2. Gas money is expensive. Though, it’s not as bad as two years ago when it was almost $4 a gallon, it still definitely costs me more money to go see him than it did when gas was $1.20 a couple months ago.

3. Communication is hard sometimes. Like I said, we both work. So this means that we are, more often than not, texting rather than actually talking. You can guess where this is going: sometimes things get misinterpreted and then things get complicated.

4. Growing apart is a real thing. Though we are still pretty close, and hardly ever go a day without speaking, distance has made things a little harder when it comes to being close with someone. Physically being with someone does make a difference.

5. Some days I really need a hug, and I can’t have it. Whether your relationship is semi-long distance, on the other side of town, or even on the other side of the world, there are just sometimes you can’t go to the other person’s house to see them for a quick hug.

6. Sometimes I don’t take that one day off to go hang out with my girls all day, I spend it driving an hour one way to see my lovely boyfriend for the day and turn right back around the next day to come straight home. But, if things were different, and he lived in town, it wouldn’t be such a big deal to spend a day and a half away from home.

There you have it. The six things that I think make a semi-long distance relationship harder; even if it is only 60 miles between us. But, honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way because it’s more about who not how or where.