8 Reasons Why Reading Is Awesome

8 Reasons Why Reading Is Awesome

Turn off the TV and Pick Up A Book: 8 Reasons Why Reading is Good for You

141
8 Reasons Why Reading Is Awesome
Teaching With a Soul

During the school year it can be hard to find time to just sit down and open up a book. I know when I was younger I felt that reading was something I "had to do" and I never really enjoyed it. However, being home with nothing to do, I decided to head to the library and pick out some books that might be of interest. Surprisingly, I found that I was excited to read for fun- a first for someone who used to leave her school reading for english to until it was necessary. Here are some reasons why reading is great and you should give it a try:

1. It's a great break from Netflix

Although there are a number of great shows on Netflix, sometimes it can be boring to sit for hours on end with nothing to stimulate your mind. It can make you feel lethargic and like you are wasting away. Reading gives you the opportunity to change things up and entertain yourself in a new way.

2. There are so many different genres

From psychological thriller, to romance, to biography and self-help, books come in all shapes and sizes and have so many different things to offer. If you want to laugh or cry or be puzzled, you have options to explore beyond your wildest dreams.

3. Reading stimulates your brain

Reading makes your brain work by engaging multiple parts of the brain to work together. These different networks work together and strength over time, enhancing your overall brain function.

4. Reading helps your relationships

According to an article in Psychology Today by Christopher Bergland, unlike visual entertainment, particularly television and movies, reading allows for a growth in what is known as a Theory of Mind (ToM). Bergland writes that ToM "is the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.—to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, and intentions that are different from one's own." So reading actually lets you better understand others, in turn making your relationships better.

5. You get to paint your own picture of a book.

Television takes part of the fun out of the plot by giving you a visual image of what the creator believes it should look like. In books, you get create your own unique version of what is happening and what it looks like to you.Your imagination is leaves the book open-ended and full of opportunities.

6. Reading can help you sleep

Instead of looking at your phone or computer before you sleep, try reading a book. Unlike the bright screens that signal to the brain that it is time to be alert, reading a book every night before bed helps your body establish a routine that let's it know it's time to unwind.

7. Escape your world

Reading a book can allow you to put your troubles aside for a little bit and reduce your stress levels. Your mind is forced to focus on the words and is therefore distracted from other anxiety-provoking thoughts.

8. Become happier

Reading makes you feel good. There is a special feeling you get after you have finished a good book or article. In fact, an article in The New Yorker by Ceridwen Dovey discussed a technique known as bibliotherapy as a way to make people happier. The soothing effect of books in combination with the neurons that are stimulated by reading about actions, even if you do perform the same actions, help to increase a person's mental well-being.

Next time you're feeling down or not sure what to do, instead of turning on the TV, go to your bookstore or library and pick up a book. It might just change your life.