Why President Obama's Feminist Essay Is SUPER Important
Politics

President Obama has managed to encapsulate everything that feminism stands for in his 1,500 word essay.

12
TODAY

Recently, President Obama wrote a piece for Glamour magazine in which he outlined his concerns about gender equality and put the responsibility on men and women alike to create healthy relationships and do their part to close the social gap. Now this is not just another "politically correct" statement from a politician who is just trying to say whatever we want to hear, this 1,500-word piece is something directly from the President's heart regarding something he is passionate about. Being the father of two young women, Malia and Sasha, and a husband to a strong, independent woman like Michelle, it makes sense that this is commentary that Obama is comfortable with and feels strongly about. He notes this when he writes, "Yes it's important that their dad is a feminist because now that's what they expect of all men." Obama not only sets a standard for men for his daughters but for the rest of the women in our country, as well.

In his essay, President Obama also addresses the issues regarding gender roles and the different expectations we have of men and women. Regarding this, he writes that "we need to keep changing the attitude that raises our girls to be demure and our boys to be assertive, that criticizes our daughters for speaking out and our sons for shedding a tear.”The president not only addresses the part of feminism that fights for equality for women but also fights against gender roles that are placed upon men. He talks about the role younger generations have played combating these standards and how this issue affects everyone. President Obama believes that "forcing people to adhere to outmoded, rigid notions of identity isn’t good for anybody—men, women, gay, straight, transgender, or otherwise. These stereotypes limit our ability to simply be ourselves."

Obama also mentions the double standards in our society that exist when it comes to someone's sexuality. The president calls out the hypocrisy of our society when it comes to sex. Usually, a man who is very sexually active is portrayed in the media as a role model or popular figure in society while a woman who is just as sexually active is portrayed as a "slut" or "whore" by the same platforms. This narrative also ties into the rape culture that blames the victim for being too promiscuous or tempting to their assailant.

President Obama then mentions how he and Michelle have raised their daughters to fight against these double standards, gender roles, and the inequality that still exists. Not only does he believe that this is important for Sasha and Malia on an individual level, he makes sure to note that it's part of a bigger idea that stresses teaching our daughters and sons alike to do their part in fighting for equality. "I want all of our daughters and sons to see that this, too, is their inheritance. I want them to know that it’s never been just about the Benjamins; it’s about the Tubmans, too. And I want them to help do their part to ensure that America is a place where every single child can make of her life what she will."

The importance of this essay by President Obama cannot be overlooked. Here we have a president near the end of his term who hasn't taken a back seat. He is still using his platform to speak on the issues that currently exist in our society and will exist after he's left the White House. Additionally, he does a phenomenal job of speaking on every single issue that feminism covers, whether it be the gender roles placed on both men and women, the double standards that still exist in society and the overarching idea of equality. He isn't just specifically advocating for women's rights, he's advocating for equality among men, women and whatever someone may choose to identify themselves as. President Obama does an excellent job in making sure he isn't shaming men while solely praising women. Instead, he empowers men to use their platforms and privileges in society to be catalysts for change and the evolution of equality for everyone. President Obama's essay for Glamour really captures the true ideology of feminism and its structure in American society. While I touched upon some of the most prominent points here, I encourage everyone to go online and read Obama's words for yourself because they are eloquent and a true example of how feminism should be approached.