4 Reasons Why New York Does Christmas The Best

New York City has a way of making you feel like you're in a movie.

126
Taylor Contarino

It's not just that perfect, snow-kissed ice-skating with your significant other in Central Park facade. In fact, it's not even a facade. There's something about New York during Christmas that makes your worries melt away like Frosty the Snowman on December 26th. Maybe it's the busy and bustling Macy's on West 34th. Maybe it's the sight of the tree being lit up for the first time in Rockefeller Center. Maybe it's the fact that the lights never seem to go out, especially in Times Square. Whatever reason you have for adoring New York in all of its Christmas beauty, I believe we can all unite and agree on this statement: Nobody does Christmas like New York.

1. It's The Little Things

From the feeling of standing in line to meet Santa in Macy's, to falling on your butt skating in Rockefeller Center with the incredibly glamorous tree as your beautiful holiday background, there's nothing like it. It's that moment when you have to take off every article and layer of clothing after entering Starbucks because the heat radiating from inside is such a sharp contrast to the white fluff floating from the sky outside. It's the small things that are essential to New York and New York only. Even the feeling of getting off of the train gives me butterflies. And don't even start with that magical moment as you walk up the stairs of Madison Square Garden's neighboring train station, and arise in the busy city.

2. Food Galore

Nothing compares to Max Brenner's hot cocoa, especially while walking the Christmas Village. That first sip takes my breath away, and I swear that I'm sipping straight liquid chocolate. New York does food like no other. I even have a soft spot for the one dollar pizza, or maybe that's just the NYC obsession talking...But forget one dollar pizza, the real powerhouses of New York are the unique little corners of the universe like "Serendipity," "The Black Tap," "Big Daddy's Diner," and "Ellen's Stardust Diner." New York's food shines brightly among all others at any time of year, but the Christmas-style menus bring out NYC in its best warm, wintry, and savory form.

3. The City That Never Sleeps

Your feet sure do hurt at the end of the day as you kick your feet up on the opposite seat taking the train back to the suburbs, but the best part of New York City is the fact that there is never a lack of anything to do, especially during December.

Visit Santa Claus at Macy's Heralds Square, go Christmas shopping in Times Square, visit the numerous holiday villages, see a performance by the Rockettes, go ice skating (Rockefeller, Central Park, Bryant Park, there are tons of outdoor rinks!), see a tree lighting, or holiday shows. The list of endless things to do goes on and on!

4. It's Truly Magical