Why I Need Feminism

Why I Need Feminism

Yes, I just said that

352
Why I Need Feminism
Personal Photo

First of all, yes I just said "I need feminism," because I do. Don't roll your eyes or assume I'm some angry man-hater. I don't hate men, I don't think women are better than men. Not all men oppress women, and not all women feel personally oppressed. That doesn't mean it isn't happening somewhere to someone.

There. Glad we got that out of the way. Now, please read these points carefully and consider the presence of these situations in your own life.

I do everything for me, not men (or other women for that matter).

I don't buy tons of expensive makeup and spend an hour getting ready so men can appreciate my perfectly winged eyeliner, I wear makeup to enhance my natural features and make myself feel a little more confident. I don't wear yoga pants so men have an excuse to stare at my butt, I wear them because they're comfy. I don't wear the clothes I wear so others can judge my fashion sense, I wear them so I can check myself out every time I pass a mirror and stand up a little straighter because I look fantastic. Even the most unimportant details of my life are compared to a standard and if I don't meet those expectations, I'm not good enough.

I'm sick of being on my guard everywhere I go.

I use the buddy system whenever I go somewhere late at night. I carry my keys in-between my knuckles when I walk back to my car. I turn around every time I hear a noise when I'm walking alone. I walk a lot faster when I see a group of guys on the street. I call a friend to talk to me while I walk back home. I’m scared to turn a guy down because I’m afraid of the backlash. I'm afraid because I know I'm a target. I've seen the stories on the news, I've known girls who have gotten attacked. I'm terrified that I will be next.

I'm constantly under judgment and scrutiny.

Wear revealing clothes and you're asking for it. Cover up and you're a prude. Date too many guys and you're a slut. Never been in a relationship and you're a joke. Like Starbucks and you're basic and too girly. Like wrestling and you're a tomboy and not girly enough. Get straight A's and you're a nerd, fail a class and you're a ditz. Girls are supposed to love our bodies and be confident but we're not allowed to show too much shoulder in school or have shorts above our fingertips. There are hundreds of unwritten rules of poise and beauty women are expected to exhibit at all hours of the day, no matter the setting. It's the silent judgments our minds are conditioned to think that make most women (and men) extremely self-conscious. Most of us are always hiding behind a mask because being yourself just doesn't cut it.

My hormones do not invalidate my opinion.

I cry at touching movies. I have mood swings. I get angry. I get upset. I feel. But I still have valid ideas and opinions. And just because my body contains a higher amount of estrogen or I get my period once a month does not mean those feelings or opinions are any less valuable. Women are not meant to experience the same thought process as a man. Women tend to have a caring, motherly instinct that often drives them to be more compassionate and empathetic. Those characteristics should not create problems, they're meant to help solve them. Also, assuming I’m on my period just because I disagree with your opinion and am passionate enough to use my voice is extremely ignorant of you.

I don't need a man to fulfill my life's goals.

A woman's entire purpose is not to find a man and settle down. Reproducing is not all we're good for. If a woman doesn't have a fiancé by 25, she shouldn't have to "hurry and find someone to support her". She can take care of herself. She can get a job and pay the bills, she can survive just fine without a man. Don't tell her to go find her other half because she's not missing any pieces. With or without a boyfriend, fiancé, or husband, she is still a human being--complete and able to take care of herself. If a woman's future contains a husband and a family, great. She'll be an awesome mom and a wonderful partner to her spouse. If that's not how a woman's life turns out, great. She's succeeding on her own and creating a life she loves.

Misogyny is a thing.

Maybe not everywhere. Maybe not every guy. Maybe you don't see it. But many women are sexually harassed at home, in school, or at work. Statistics say 1 in 6 women will be raped in her lifetime. Not in every country. Not at every business. But many women still consistently get paid less than men for doing the same job. The United States has never had a woman run our country. Actresses are not praised for their theatrical abilities but for their sex appeal and how well they work as a prop for the leading male. Schools teach girls to cover up so boys don't get distracted rather than urging everyone to respect the human body in its beautiful form and to appreciate the souls that occupy those bodies. We as a society are getting better at treating both sexes as equals, but there is still room for improvement. It's the little things disguising themselves as normal, the things that everyone overlooks. The things that feminism fights to eradicate.

Feminism fights for men too.

Ever wondered why a man who can't wear a skirt or would be harassed? It's because our society thinks it's degrading to be feminine. Men are expected to be emotionless, buff, athletic, in charge, and stronger than anyone else. Feminism fights to break those stereotypes.

Feminism is not about power for females and females only. It's literally about equality. For everyone. Every point in this article can apply to men and women of any age. We're all scrutinized, but often women are targeted and affected by society even more so than men, and their feelings and stories oppressed.

Being polite and respectful is apparently "acting like a lady" and "manning up" is having courage and staying strong, but shouldn't both sexes have all of those characteristics? Being a man or being a woman should not prevent anyone from accomplishing anything. Sex should not determine the amount of respect one gets in a certain context. We should all be expected to act like decent human beings. And we should all want to fight to get rid of stereotypes.

Sex doesn't mean better or worse. Sex doesn't mean strong and weak.

We are all equally human.

That's why I need feminism.