Why My Generation Is The Worst

I'm embarrassed. I'm ashamed. I'm tired. I'm embarrassed of my generation. I'm ashamed of the people who raised and influenced us. I'm tired of being embarrassed and ashamed.

The day it became okay for a 20-year-old to rape and assault a 23-year-old, because he was a skilled swimmer and jail would be "too harsh" for him is the day I officially gave up on everything. The problem with the "people" (because they obviously aren't adults) my age, is that they think they are invincible. They believe that, because they don't understand that actions have consequences, whether they be bad or good.

The problem with this day and age is that everyone is afraid. Everyone is afraid they are going to offend someone by just the look on their face. Chances are they probably will and it will probably make front page news, even though the men and women fighting for this country die everyday and they don't get the recognition they deserve. People are afraid that they won't fit in with the norm and be popular, they're afraid they won't be politically correct, or that they won't get over 100 likes on their latest Instagram post. Well I'm here to tell you... GET OVER IT.

Get over yourself, stop whining and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Stand up for what you believe in, don't be scared to voice your opinion. Stop trying to be another Kim Kardashian in this world and start trying to be another Condoleezza Rice. (And if you don't know who that is, you're what's wrong with America.) You should be idolizing heroes and trailblazers, not the conceited, ignorant people you do.

Make a difference, be bold, don't worry about other people and their opinions of you. At the end of the day, your followers and likes on social media mean nothing. In the grand scheme of things, your $300 sneakers will not make you memorable. You can't earn and/or achieve something incredible over night. It takes time, hard work, dedication and faith.

You should have #PersonalGoals before you think about #RelationshipGoals. If you have a significant other, good for you. If they do nothing but slow down your plan for the future, bad for you. A relationship should come easy. If you struggle to stay together, then you're wasting your time. Get your life together before you try and make two lives work together. We're so preoccupied with people/things we shouldn't be. There are people in this world that don't know when their next meal will be while we're more worried about what our next picture caption will be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's our parents' fault, but they are part of the reason. We aren't used to not getting what we want. We've literally and mentally been handed everything in our lives. Money, clothes, the mental state that we are superior because our parents are scared that if they say/do one wrong thing, we'll lose our minds. Parents should stop being our friends and start being parents. Children now get a trophy for "participating".. What a joke. How are the people that actually try and give it their all supposed to know that their hard work payed off? And god forbid there be something you don't want to do, just lie and say you're not comfortable with it and you're excused.

I'm not saying everyone my age is like this, but the majority of us are. They don't understand the impact our next president could have on the future of not only our country, but the whole world. I bet they couldn't even tell you the number of seats in the senate or who the Vice President has been for the past four years. They're so consumed with keeping up with which actress is cheating on her spouse or overdosing. There's so much more to this world than people my age even care about because they've never had to.

I'll be the first person to tell you I've lived a privileged life. But I'll also be the first person to tell you that I know exactly how hard my parents have had to work for what they have. I understand that I can't do whatever I want and get away with it. I know that I have to work diligently in school and life to succeed. I have to wake up and go to my job every day to earn my money. I know I'm not going to start out making $80,000 a year and that I have to work my way to that. I acknowledge the fact that I am blessed and I don't have to worry about going without. I don't expect my family to provide for me forever. I want to make something of myself and I'm never going to do that without going out and working for what I want. Someone may not agree with my plans but that's okay too. Because not everyone is like me.

Stop trying to please everyone else because it'll never happen. Someone will always be upset about something. So while you're walking on egg shells, concerned with others opinions, there's someone out there becoming something amazing. Stop being a baby and take responsibility for your actions and words. Mommy and daddy aren't always going to be there to take the fall for you. The real world is cruel. It doesn't have patience, it isn't concerned for your well being, and it sure isn't going to give you anything for free. This world will be a better place when people finally start worrying about the well being of everyone and everything instead of which drug they want to try next.

I'm so tired of being labeled the generation that is incapable of doing things or getting things done. For those of you who have a grasp on the real world and actually have your life semi put together, keep up the good work. For those of you that wouldn't be able to pass a basic history test over the United States, what the hell are you doing? It's time we all grow up and leave a mark on the world worth leaving. Be the best version of yourself.