Child's Play: An Open Letter To Millennials

Money, Power, Glory

7
Jake Melara

They say we confound leadership, are self-entitled, narcissistic, lazy and tough to manage. They blame our parents for allowing us to get participation awards and a host of other failed parenting strategies. They told us we were special all the time and could have anything we want in life. We got medals for coming in last and if we didn’t get into the best clubs, our parents complained. So the world can understand why we're slightly self-absorbed and entitled. Right?

We say we're struggling because the cost of living is high but the minimum wage is still low ,and not to mention the lack of available jobs. And we're not being paid enough to do what we do. We say there is so much pressure on us, and no one believes in us, which makes it harder to succeed. SideBar: You do not...I repeat do not have to accept the thoughts, opinions and beliefs of other people!

I say, keep in mind the world doesn't care about you, especially not the business world or whatever field you are entering. You are going to be challenged, and you are going to be pushed. Your big dreams and ideas will be ripped to shreds. Don't take it personal. You will be expected to explore various perspectives and even compromise working alone for working with others. Don't tint your shine. There is no slacking off. Contrary to popular belief, you are replaceable. Don't find yourself collecting unemployment or working odd jobs because you feel like you are "too good" to start off with a not so attractive salary. As soon as you stand still, so will everything else you notice. And when you stand still, how can you expect to move? How can you expect change? How can you expect progression? Progression comes from taking risks, progression comes from taking chances. Success comes from failing. You can’t win without taking an L, that’s impossible.

So what if we got participation awards or always have been told that there is no limit to what we can do? We don't have a right to the cards we have been dealt, but we do have an obligation to strategically play the ones we are holding.

To get ahead, you're going to have to make sacrifices. Nothing in this world is free, everything will cost you something. Do a cost-benefit analysis of what you are giving your time to, especially if you're giving away time that could have been used to perfect your craft. You need to buckle down, work so hard that people start to ask you why you never come around.

My life, it composed of losses and wins,fails and falls. No one’s had more shots at the moon and missed than me. Stay focused. I know what it feels like to be the underdog, to know you're full of potential and it not be recognized. All I can say is whisper to yourself, "work harder."