My Dad Is And Always Has Been My Side-kick Hero

Have you seen your dad put someone in a headlock?

225
Kenzie Kesling

Since Father's Day passed, I have thought a lot about my relationship with my dad and how much it has changed over the years. Even though I would say we have a great relationship now, it hasn't always been like that. When I was in my younger teen years, I wasn't always the nicest kid, especially to him but as the years progressed I've realized how lucky I am to have such a loving father.

One of the oldest memories that I have about my dad happened when I was around five or six. We were living in a community that had a pool so my dad would take us there after he got home from work. One day, he took me to the pool alone. Since I was in swim lessons at the time I thought it would be fun to jump into the deep end of the pool, which was around nine feet. However, as soon as I jumped into the deep end, I started to panic. I was thrashing around in the water when my dad jumped in and swam me over to the side of the pool. My dad saving me from almost drowning has made me always feel safe in his presence.

In another water-related incident, when I was around seven or eight, he also saved me after our jet ski flipped in the middle of the sound. He was driving me and one of my friends around when I started to slip off of the jet ski. He reached out to grab me, which ultimately lead to the entire jet ski to be flipped over. I distinctly remember how panicked I was just floating in the water. Yet again, my dad's presence beside me was what made me calm down and feel safe, even in the open water.

My dad happens to own a restaurant in Fife, Washington called Louie G's Pizza. I have worked there since he bought the restaurant, which has been a blessing. However, part of the responsibility of owning a restaurant/live music venue like Louie G's is dealing with drunk people. There have been times when I'm working, where I have felt uncomfortable because of drunk costumers, but I always know that my dad is around the corner just in case anything happens. I have watched my dad throw people out of the restaurant for being inappropriate towards staff or other costumes. I even watched him put a guy in a headlock once after he tried to punch another customer.

Being in college has made me miss my dad, terribly. I try to call him as often as I can, which is usually every day. I'm so happy that a day like Father's Day exists just to celebrate people like my dad. Even when I wasn't the nicest to him, he still loved me unconditionally. So here's to all the fantastically Fathers who love their children with their whole heart.