Why Music is Chicken Noodle Soup for the Soul

It is there through it all.

19
Wallpapers 4 U

It was around fifth grade when I became interested in music. I began listening to a lot of old school Disney Channel stars like Hannah Montana and Ashley Tisdale; it was there that I know I wanted to get involved with music. I began to take my elementary chorus classes more seriously and invested more time to try out for solos and roles in my school's shows. I was motivated to keep trying and not be afraid thanks to my teachers, so I tried out for my first musical, The Granny Awards, where I landed my first major role with a musical solo. After the show, my peers would congratulate and would exclaim, "I didn't know you could sing!" Neither did I, until I tried. At first, music was a hobby, but now, it is more of a passion. As I grew up, it also became a remedy or escape from everyday life; I moved away from the school and town where I became the girl who likes to sing. I was upset. I was going to miss my friends, school, and house. Music helped me cry and think about all of the possibilities and opportunities I could make in my new town with new friends. I agreed to continue doing chorus at my new school in 6th grade. Being the shy, new girl, I did an awful job with making new friends at first, but if there was one thing that followed me from moving was that I continued to pursue and be confident with music; I tried out for solos and continuously got involved. Every show I tried out for, I either got a role or a solo. It meant so much to me to know that I was capable of finally finding my talent and hobby in one. However, music meant more to me than just going to chorus everyday, I learned how to communicate with others and also build up my personality and self-love. Even through all of the friendship, relationship, and even a family figure breakup, I learned life lessons through songs. A few childhood songs that were my go-to's include "Nobody's Perfect" by Hannah Montana, which taught me not every decision I make in life is going to perfect, whether it ranged from answering a question wrong on a test or lying about why I was okay when I wasn't, it emphasized that "everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days." Another throughout my early middle school years was "It's Alright, It's OK" by Ashley Tisdale, which allowed me to realize letting go to those who I thought loved me would be okay and there is more to life than sulking in the past and caving in to bribery or empty promises with the lyrics "It's alright, it's ok, I'm such better without you", "no matter what you say, I won't return our bridge has burned down, I'm stronger now." One important one, however, as I departed from middle school to junior high was "Don't Rain On My Parade" covered by Lea Michele, which allowed me to not let anyone stop me from achieving my goals and to prove them wrong by exploring the endless possibilities life can offer me with the empowering lyrics, "Ooh life is juicy, juicy and you see that I gotta have my bite, sir." My point being said, any emotion I am feeling, I can turn to music. I continued choir in high school because of all the amazing people and opportunities I managed to take with me past graduation and felt that it was a necessity for my long 7-8 hour days of classes I did not want to endure. Choir became an escape. It's an easy way to connect with others who have the same interests or even feelings as myself, while singing everything out, emotions, words, goals, and implicit communicationI can easily say to this day, music is a not necessarily a hobby or not even a career goal but it is an essential part of my life. It has allowed me explain things I thought I never could do as a kid and it has allowed me to love myself a little more each day when I can't seem to find the motivation or inner beauty hiding inside me. In times of tears, smiles, kisses, meetings, public, or privacy, music is always there for anyone.