Why Moving Across The Country Can Be Worth It

Slowly but surely, we meet new people and create new support systems.

6
KC Longley

Everyone that goes away for college knows that leaving home comes with many experiences. One of these very new experiences for me was having roommates that I live with day in and day out.

In our dorm room, the four of us share some pretty decent amount of space. With two bedrooms, we split off evenly, creating two sets of immediate roommates.

Having barely spoken online before moving in, evolving into a friendship takes time. All three of the girls had been here since the fall term, so my joining in the spring was new. But everyone was great and welcoming, that it feels as if I've been here since the beginning. (At least for me, I won't speak for the rest of them).

Having never lived purely on my own before, it was a new experience. Not too hard of an adjustment due to being an independent person already, but definitely weird not to be around family and friends constantly.

Being around each other 24/7, my roommate and I gradually grew closer as time went on, which I am grateful for. I am happy to call her a friend and find myself grateful to have her opinion on things in my life. She’s become someone who knows what I am going through, knows all about my friends and family back home and dutifully listens as I go on and on about some movie or TV show.

It is nice to go away to school and slowly build up another support system away from home. I have found that it does take time, it isn’t always easy and it’s hardly going to happen at the drop of a hat, but it does happen. And it truly is worth the wait.

(Below is a video of some exploring we did this past weekend!)