Why Michelle Obama Is More Than A Role Model

Who is a role model? A role model to me is someone who never gives up on his or her dreams, someone who is a leader, honest, respectful and inspires others. The perfect example is none other than the First Lady Michelle Obama.The first lady was born as Michelle LaVaught Robinson on January 17, 1964, in DeYoung Illinois. Raised on the Southside of Chicago, Michelle grew up in a very modest household. Her father (Fraser Robinson) was a city pump operator and a democratic precinct captain, and her mother (Marian) was secretary for Spiegel’s at a bank.

She later decided to stay at home and raise Michelle and her brother Craig. Michelle’s parents were very hardworking and dedicated to emphasizing the importance of education. The family spent most of their time reading and playing games.

Michelle and her brother learned how to read by age 4, and both skipped the second grade. By the sixth grade, Michelle was attending gifted classes where she learned French and took accelerated courses. Her parents mutually desired to offer the best foundation, and they believed Michelle and Craig, had perseverance to achieve it.

The First Lady attended Whitney Young High School, which was the first magnet schools in Chicago (“Michelle Obama biography”). She was on the honor roll for all four years of high school, as well as member of the National Honor Society, and graduated in 1981, as the salutatorian of her class. The First Lady attended Princeton University with a major in Sociology and a minor in African American Studies. She graduated Cum Laude in 1985, shortly after that, Michelle attended Harvard Law School and graduated in 1988.

Following her graduation from Harvard, she worked at Sidley Austin, a Chicago Law Firm specializing in marketing and intellectual poverty. This is where she happened to meet her husband, the future 44th President of the United States of America. Barack Obama was a summer intern to whom the First Lady was assigned as an adviser. The couple soon fell in love and married on October 3, 1992. A few years after they welcomed their daughters Malia Ann, born July 4 1998, and Natasha, born on June 7, 2001 (Michael Obama biography).

The First Lady came from very humble beginnings, but she managed to build herself into the powerful and influential woman that she is today. Mrs. Obama has focused her attention on current social issues such as poverty, healthy living, and education. After leaving her job at the law firm to launch a career in public service, she served as an assistant to Mayor Daley later on as the Assistant Commissioner of Planning and Development for the City of Chicago ( “Brown Galup”).

In 1993, she became Executive Director for the Chicago office of public allies a non-profit leadership training program that helped young adults develop skills for future careers in public sectors. She was also a member of the board of three house food’s, a food supplier for Walmart stores. (“Michelle Obama biography”).When Barack Obama decided to run for Illinois state senator 1996, Michelle proved a disciplined campaign aide by canvassing for signatures and throwing fundraising parties (“Michelle Obama History”).

In May 2005, she was appointed vice president for community and external affairs at the university of Chicago Medical Center, where she continued to work part-time shortly before her husband’s inauguration as president.

They First Lady has certain characteristics that define her intelligence based on two types of Howard Gardner multiple intelligences, that relate to Mrs. Obama which are interpersonal and logical mathematics. Interpersonal is based on understanding interaction with others and having qualities like being street smart and having empathy for others (“Multiple Intelligence by Lane”).“Interpersonal intelligence is also the ability to understand and interact effectively with others.

It involves effective verbal and nonverbal communication, the ability to note distinctions among others, sensitivity to the moods and temperaments of others, and the ability to entertain multiple perspectives.Teachers, social workers, actors, and politicians all exhibit interpersonal intelligence.Young adults with this kind of intelligence are leaders among their peers, are good at communicating, and seem to understand others’ feelings and motives” (“Howard Gardner”).

The First Lady Michelle Obama is interpersonal because she spends a lot of her time helping military families. She stated, "I won't be satisfied -- nor will my husband -- until every single veteran and military spouse who wants a job has one all of you deserve nothing less”. That is just the beginning of this extraordinary woman’s accomplishments.The First Lady also has a campaign called Let’s Move, which is an initiative to promote healthy eating and physical activity to fight childhood obesity.

In 2009, she worked with local elementary school students to plant a 1,100, square foot vegetable garden in the white house. She also runs a campaign called Let Girls Learn because she believes that everyone that wants an education deserves it. In 2014, Mrs. Obama launched the Reach Higher, an effort to inspire young people across America to complete an education past high school. This program helps students understand the importance of education. Also, it provides assistance with financial aid eligibility, encourages academic planning and summer learning opportunities.

Mrs. Obama also has the characteristic of a “logical –mathematics intelligence, which is the ability to calculate, quantify, consider propositions and hypotheses, and carry out complete mathematical operations. It enables us to perceive relationships and connections and to use abstract, symbolic thought, sequential reasoning skills, inductive and deductive thinking patterns. Logical intelligence is usually well developed in mathematicians, scientists, and detectives. Young adults with lots of logical intelligences are interested in patterns, categories, and relationships.

They are drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments (Howard Gardner).

Michelle’s personality includes being responding, calculating, thinking, conceptually, abstractly and being able to see and explore patterns of relationships. This type of intelligence is seen in her career as mentioned before; her career has a lot to do with her being a logical-mathematic. For example, as a lawyer you are required to have certain skills like finding evidence, using statistic, and observing behaviors.

You have to develop skills that allow you to think and respond quaintly when representing someone in court. Mrs. Obama joined the University of Chicago with the vision of bringing the campus community together. As Associated Dean of Student Services, she developed the university is first community service program. Michelle's true calling is serving and helping others to contribute to their communities.

Michelle Obama’s love for people and the community teaches others that no matter the circumstances one can still be successful. As mentioned earlier, Dweck and Blackwell were both professors and psychologist that studied the theory of a growth mindset. Michelle Obama is a good example of having a growth mindset because she did not let her environment change her character, values, and mindset.

Where Mrs. Obama was raised (Southside Chicago) may be considered “the hood”. She did not allow stereotypes and influences to change her mind and what she wanted to be in life. Peer pressure is very easy to give in to, but she saw what she could have been, and chose to be great.

Michelle Obama will forever be known in history for being one of the most outstanding, humble, dedicated, noble, creative and caring First Ladies in history. She is not afraid to speak her mind, and she has self-confidence. Michelle balances her family and career. Behind every great man, there is a phenomenal woman. Mrs. Obama has been the biggest influence on her husband’s career and is his constant, solid foundation and support. She has guided him on the right path and make sure that her children are secure and stable.

The United States has greatly benefitted from having two African American leaders. Even when the Obamas are no longer in the White House, their positive impact will last forever in the United States and Michelle’s impact will last forever in my heart. Mrs. Obama has captivated women around the world by her way of speaking and how she carries herself with dignity. She expresses her intelligences when she motivates others to being involved in the movements and wanting better not only for herself but also for her communities. Michelle is the perfect example of Howard Gardner’s multiple intelligence theory.

I believe that our intelligence comes from our knowledge and the environment that we have grown up in. Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences shows us that it is ok for people to have different points of view.