Why I Love Halloween

Why I Love Halloween

It's given me some great memories
1

I have always loved Halloween...even more than Christmas. You don't have to worry about buying gifts or spending too much money. All you have to do is come up with a costume. I've never been able to sew and I'm not crafty enough to make a costume, but I love doing make-up. I've been some strange things for Halloween. My favorite and "old stand by" has been Beetlejuice. You can just wing that costume, as long as your make-up is done right you are good to go.

One year I was very into reading strange books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," "Still Life with Woodpeckers" and "A Clockwork Orange" I chose to be Malcolm McDowell's character Alex from the movie "A Clockwork Orange" because when my friend and I were looking through her closet, we found a set of white long johns. Alex was wearing them throughout the film. The film was a very controversial movie from back in the 1970's and still is today. It is a cult classic. To this day, I've never see anyone dressed as that for Halloween.

It was an easy costume:one false eyelash, a bowler hat, combat boots and a black umbrella (a jock strap is optional.) It turned out to be the best Halloween party I ever went to. The house that it was at, was rented to 5 college students. They all contributed their own strange ideas to the decor. As poor college students no one wanted to spend any money so we used whatever we found. The furniture in the living room belonged to the landlord. We were afraid it would get ruined so we moved it into the garage. The wood floor was already ruined, so only 2 things that remained were two motorcycles. Later on they were used to drive to the keg!

It's also the mischief of Halloween that was so much fun as a kid. Another Halloween that sticks out in my mind was when I was much younger. I took the bus home with my friend who lived near 20 obnoxious boys that used to tease all the girls on my bus. One of them had been friends with my brother and I had a crush on him. He suddenly out of nowhere called my friend's house and asked to speak to me. He invited me and my friend over to his house, because he was having a small party. We went, of course.

Suddenly 20 boys jumped out of the bushes and covered us in shaving cream and eggs! It was so much fun because they started to bombard each other too. Neighbors heard the laughter and more of my friends came out to join the fun. The girls ganged up on the boys and got even. The whole street and lawn was covered in white Barbasol. It was a party without invitations, food or alcohol...just pure fun!