This Is Why I Love My College Friends

This Is Why I Love My College Friends

I didn't think I would find my people, but I did.
158

When you enter your first year of college, everything is new. New classes, new course load, new home, new routine, new responsibilities, and what's most terrifying, new friends. I had a lot of trouble adjusting in the beginning of the year. I became instant best friends with my roommate, but she knew a lot more people than I did. I had a bad orientation experience, and thought that would be reflective of my time at school.

I made close friends within the first couple weeks. We did everything together. We ate every meal together, mapped out our classes together before the first day, explored the downtown, did homework together. I was happy with my little group, but still thought we were missing out on that experience of meeting lots of new people every day. I wasn't as involved as I wanted, but I was too shy to join things.

It wasn't until my senior year in high school that I realized how much of an introvert I was. When I got to college, that realization sunk deeper into my consciousness. I tried to put myself out there, but everything felt so awkward. Meeting new people and everything it just felt so strange. We all knew how weird it was to ask everyone we met the same questions, "Where are you from?", "What's your major?", "Where are you living this semester?"

One of my roommate's friends she knew from orientation heard we were going to see the movie, It, one night and asked if he could bring some friends from his floor along. We all went together and had a really good time. They have been my best friends at school since.

The reason I liked them so much though is because, unlike other people I met at school, they actually really wanted to get to know me. They didn't pretend. When you go to school, and you tell people about yourself, make friends with the ones who are genuinely listening to you, think you're funny, and share your interests. DOn't become friends with someone because it's convenient.

As I said before, I am what they call an introverted extrovert. But when I made my group of friends at school, I found myself putting myself out there more, having more fun whenever I went out. They pushed me to relax. I worry so much and am lazy as anything. But I found that once I started hanging out with them, I was just so much happier.

I didn't want to come home anymore. I wanted to spend the rest of the semester getting to know them even more and being as good of a friend to them as they have been to me. And that's exactly what I've been doing.