Reasons My Brother Is The Best

Reasons My Brother Is The Best

It would be so boring if I was an only child.

385
Reasons My Brother Is The Best
Samantha Carlson

When we were younger, my brother and I fought all the time and sometimes, we still do. It's a natural thing that all siblings do, and just as all siblings, we would pout for a few minutes but then get over it and go back to playing with each other. My mom, who has a brother as well, didn't really mind it because she had been through the same thing when she was younger, but my dad, who is an only child, used to get so frustrated and annoyed when my brother and I fought. Looking back, I can't really blame him, because we were very annoying and because he never had the experience of a sibling. I was only twenty months old when my brother was born, so I don't remember a time without him, and I think that's for the best, because although he does annoy me and we do fight, my life would be so completely boring without him.

I got really, really lucky because I actually do have the best brother in the world. Sure he's annoying and mean sometimes, but he's also kind, funny, strong, and dedicated. I can't imagine going through life without Andy by my side. Here are a few reasons why my brother is the best!

1. For all the times he's pushed me down, he's helped me get back up.

For as mean as my brother can be, he also is the kindest person I know and is always making sure I'm okay. I remember one summer years ago at our grandparents' cottage, I slipped on a piece of seaweed that was laying on pavement. I fell down and skinned my knee and arm pretty bad. At first, my brother laughed, but then he did get help, which is something. He always offer to help me out and often, that means making sure I don't fall when we are doing something physical. He does a pretty good job at preventing falls and is usually good at attempting to catch me when I do fall.

2. His kindness spreads past our family.

My brother is part of the SNAPS and PALS program at his high school and he was the captain of his high school soccer team. He's always there for people in Snaps and Pals as well as his teammates and friends both on and off the soccer field when they need kindness, encouragement, and support. Andy is always the first one to help someone out when they need it, whether it be someone in our family or someone outside of it.

3. He has a pretty great fashion sense, and isn't afraid to be who he is.

I remember a time, back in the day, when my brother didn't care at all for fashion. He hated clothes shopping and he despised getting clothes as presents for Christmas or his birthday. Now, I can proudly say that his fashion sense has greatly improved. I'm not sure what motivated this change in his style, but it's funny to watch him go shopping and take clothes and fashion so seriously. Another part of this is his love for thrift stores, and the strange finds he always brings home. He finds the strangest donated clothes for cheap and he actually wears them, which is so funny to me, but, and I think everyone in my family would agree, he pulls the looks off. All because he isn't afraid to be exactly who he is, which is something I admire and am proud of in my brother.

4. He is actually pretty patient.

My brother is better than me at a lot of physical activities and could do a lot before I could. In addition, I was always just a much slower person than my brother, so he always had to wait for me to do things. Easter egg hunts and Christmas mornings were always interesting, but he always ended up waiting for me and made sure it was more or less fair. He always has, on countless occasions, attempted to teach me how to do things. Each time, he would let me take my time, explain how to do it, show me, and then let me do it. When I failed, he would just show me again until I could more or less do it or I gave up. I have no doubt that he was frustrated with my inability things, but he hid that frustration well for the most part.

5. He's taught me so much.

My brother has taught me more than he'll ever know, I think. He's taught me how to get along with people, how to work out an argument, and how to stand up for myself. He was largely the reason I finally learned how to ride my bike. He's also taught me kindness and compassion for others, what it looks like to be driven and how to be a leader. He has taught me about music (he actually has really good taste in music) and about what to and what not to buy at a thrift shop. The lessons that he's taught me have largely shaped me into the person I am today, and I hope I have taught him some valuable things as well.

I love my brother a lot and I'm very, very thankful for him this, and every other, Thanksgiving!

Love you, Andy. See you soon!