Why "Logan" Was The Best Comic Book Movie So Far

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of seeing Hugh Jackman’s last performance as Wolverine in "Logan." While I am a fan of many movie genres, I would say that comic book movies are by far my favorite of all. I grew up watching Christopher Reeve as Superman, and Adam West as Batman. "Spider-Man" was the first movie I can remember seeing in a movie theater, and it was normal for me to wake up early every Saturday so I could watch "The Hulk." Why do I say all of this? Well, I don’t want it to be taken lightly when I say that "Logan" was, in my opinion, the best comic book movie to be made thus far.

*The following contains some slight spoilers, so continue at your own risk.*

After the success of "Deadpool" last year, it was clear that a comic book movie could be hugely successful, even with an R-rating. With this realization, the creators of "Logan" went all out for Jackman’s farewell. There was nothing held back; limbs flew from bodies, blood spewed every time Logan had to settle a dispute, and the vulgarities that even Professor X used were as realistic as you could expect. While I am not some sort of sadist who loves blood and vulgarity, I was enthralled by the realism. This was something that was long overdue for a character like Wolverine.

The writing of the movie was exquisite as well. Although it is subtle, the movie models a sort of futuristic Western movie. Many Westerns are stories of adventure in the Midwest, showcasing the story of a slow-talking protagonist who possesses great physical abilities, and who is often trailed by a trusty sidekick. The epic battle between good and evil that consumes the adventure often ends in a showdown with the protagonist’s mirror image in Westerns. "Logan" follows the story of Wolverine, a mutant, who, along with a younger mutant named Laura, travels through the deserted land of the Midwest in search of a haven called Eden. Wolverine has his final battle with a ferocious clone of himself, to settle the dispute of good versus evil. Still don’t believe me? Check out this poster, and tell me it doesn’t look like a Clint Eastwood film.

Many people make the distinction between Marvel and DC movies based on their level of darkness. DC is known for its realism and violence, while Marvel is known more for its idealism and humor. "Logan" defies these distinctions and shows the audience that a movie based on a Marvel comic can be touching, realistic, sentimental, and simply wholesome, and without sacrificing the desire for action and adventure. It was only fitting that a movie with such depth and accuracy to the character would be the final run for Hugh Jackman; the level of skill that went into writing the film finally matched the actor's execution. Although a fan of comics will always find a way to enjoy these types of movies, "Logan" will make a fan out of anyone willing to watch.