Why Living in a Mountain Town Cultivates a Spirit of Adventure.

"The mountains are calling and I must go."

61

When I was in high school I lived in Telluride, a small mountain town tucked away into the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. Telluride is a town where people spend more time outdoors than at work, a town where kids refer to themselves as being "mountain tuff", a town where the community is on "Telluride time." This little town fostered a tight knit community of people, all with their own story as to how they ended up in the little box canyon. Telluride has a special place in my heart. It was between those mountain walls where I grew up, learned valuable lessons, and found who I was and what I stood for. Even though I did not grow up in Telluride my whole life, I have no doubt or hesitation in referring to it as my hometown and as a place that has taught me so much.

Telluride has taught me things like how to snowboard, how to appreciate the living world around me, and what I want to be when I grow up. More importantly, Telluride has taught me how to channel my inner adventurer. Living in a mountain town has inspired me to become more brave and venturesome, and I believe that many residents of a mountain town would agree.

When a lazy Saturday morning can easily turn into a spontaneous afternoon of skiing in a matter of an hour, it's almost impossible to not end up on the ski resort every weekend. When your next 5 mile hike is within walking distance of your house, it makes it easy to get out and explore almost every day. These towns have easily accessible potential adventures in every corner. When hiking, biking, camping, or skiing is at the touch of your fingertips it's almost impossible to not go out and adventure during every free moment you have. The simple accessibility of countless adventures make mountain towns the perfect place for exploring.

Not only do mountain towns provide an abundance of activities, but they also draw in many like-minded people who are thrill seekers and travelers. Those who grow up in Telluride are accustomed to spending the whole weekend making laps on their favorite chair lifts, spending holidays camping alongside the river, or hiking fourteeners on a Saturday morning before the sun comes up. These people of all ages within the town seem to cherish spending time outside. The culture of the town is different than most; the community members all find their own peace spending time in Mother Nature. Being surrounded by people like this almost subconsciously encourages you to want to be outside exploring, therefore further encouraging the adventurous spirit.

Telluride's people seem to place high value on Mother Nature, adorning her every aspect and respecting what she has to offer. To some, this value may be spiritual as they feel deeply connected with the Earth. To others, they may place a monetary value on the nature, as for the ski mountain brings in the money that the town needs to stay financial stable. Either way, the natural world is highly valued by individuals and residents of Telluride. These people are deeply connected with nature as it plays an important role in everyone's lives, fostering a deeper connection with the people and the planet. I believe this respect for nature is what makes mountain town residents tied more deeply to the outside, and therefore, more likely to be outdoors. For many of us, we feel a deeper connection with our environment and find peace and harmony with ourselves and Mother Nature, using the outdoors as a form of therapy or self-care.

Growing up within a box canyon taught me how to appreciate the natural systems around me and has inspired my studies in college. More importantly, my mountain town experience has helped me mature into an avid explorer and adventurer. It is almost as if there is something in the crisp, mountain air that makes the people of mountain towns more adventurous. Whatever the reason may be, mountain towns like Telluride seem to create people who love to explore. This phenomenon may never be totally understood, but just spending a few years living in a mountain town has convinced me that there is absolutely something about these places that cultivate a spirit of adventure within all the residents.