Why I Like To Set My Own Goals

Why I Like To Set My Own Goals

Having trouble achieving your goals? Write them down!

35
Why I Like To Set My Own Goals
jforrest blog

This summer I did things a little differently when it came to goal-setting. I usually have small goals set for the summer in my head but to be honest, they rarely turn out to be a reality because they never really pop in my head afterwards. Summer is always a busy time for me as I work while trying to make time for family and friends. This summer I wrote all my goals down on paper as a visual representation and believe it or not, I think it actually helped me achieve some of my goals so far. Making this checklist motivated me to actually check things off the list. Who wants to look at their list of goals by the end of the summer and see that nothing is checked off? Not I. I set these goals for myself and I can't even achieve them? I'm so hard on myself so this wouldn't be good for me yet to others it might not be as big of a deal to them. Again, since I'm so hard on myself that makes goal-setting difficult for me because I'm constantly thinking there's no way I could do (insert goal here).

This summer has been highly productive for me as I balance two jobs while checking things off my goal list. I surprised myself each and every day. Hopefully I can keep this same momentum when I go back to school. I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to putting my procrastinating days to rest. I think my favorite goal I accomplished this summer was getting my driver's license. I'm actually still in shock about the whole thing. I think once I have the real thing in my hand it will become more of a reality. I'm so proud of myself because I know I worked so hard to get to this point. I'm a little late to the party but I finally made it right? That's all that matters.

Also, I can't forget to send a big thank you to all my peers who were supportive during the whole process even though the majority of them didn't ever know when the test was. I purposely did that in case I failed so I wouldn't be embarrassed haha. Another goal of mine this summer is to travel and I will be doing that very soon. I can't wait for my trip! I suppose that one comes in second place because it is pretty awesome to travel, especially for us college students because we see the same things on campus over and over again. I know with college being super expensive it may be hard to even imagine saving up for a vacation but I highly recommend that everyone does at last once. It will be worth it, trust me!

Another goal I had was to catch up on my shows. I know that might seem silly to some but I didn't notice I watch so many shows until the past semester ended and I had so many things on my DVR. I had pretty much abandoned my tv around finals and coming back to that made me realize I had to get it together. Will I stop watching these shows? Probably not because if I started a show I usually feel obligated to finish it unless it was really really bad! The good news is I am pretty much caught up with everything.

Okay you must get the gist here by now. Goal-setting is important because it can get you closer to achieving your goals, no matter what they are exactly.