Why I like to go to festivals sober

Why I like to go to festivals sober

Why you should give it a try
15

It's that time again folks! The spring and summer festivals begin full of glitter, face paint, costumes, loud music, psychedelic art, and drugs. I have nothing against any of those things, in fact, I think festivals are great fun, but I like to experience them in a different way than many.

Festivals are in many ways a place to connect with others, express yourself creatively, and have a good time. Many people think that doing drugs will enhance their connection, creativity, and experience, but I don't feel the same way. Sure, drugs can certainly do those things, but is it really connection, or a chance to escape?

I believe we can enhance our experience without drugs by being happy with our choices, and appreciating what we have. I like to go to festivals sober because I enjoy making connections, being creative, having experiences, and making the most of it as I am. Is that to say I will never go to a festival and have a drink? No. Generally speaking however, I prefer to be in a clear, conscious, and sober state.

Why you may ask? Well, aside from what I have mentioned above, a part of my feels like pure consciousness itself in those environments. I am observing hundreds of people experiencing a completely different reality than my own. Though that is always the case because everyones reality and life is different, I feel even more aware of my state of being, and that of others. I'm sure one could say that's what drugs do for them, but I like to get high off life.

Another reason I like to go to festivals sober is because of how much better and energetic I feel the next day. Instead of having to rush to the bottle to cure the hangover, or do drugs to get my energy back, I can wake up and start my day with a clear mind. Also, I can't even imagine the comedown after the festival is over having put all of those toxins in my body.

I have nothing against those who choose to go down that path, and have those experiences, for I think everyone does what is right for them in that moment, and everything can have its benefits. That being said, if you haven't yet experienced a festival sober, I encourage you to do so. Not so that you can be sober, but so you can experience something in a way that may take you out of your comfort zone, yet still bring you joy. Don't be afraid to do something different. There will always be another festival.