Why 'Kings and Queens' Is The Most Epic Song Ever Produced

Don't fight it, just accept it.

214

If you clicked on this, it’s most likely because you saw the title and thought to yourself “Why does this person think this particular song is considered the most ‘epic song ever produced?'” And then you’re probably going to say to yourself, “She’s wrong because (fill in the blank) is.” I get it. Music is a touchy subject to make such a drastic statement like this. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. Whether you have heard the song “Kings and Queens” by 30 Seconds to Mars or not (if not, now you have to check it out), there is no denying that the way it is produced, recorded, and constructed is amazing. So yes, I think it is by far the most epic song ever produced and to me, the most epic song I have ever heard. It’s almost to the point where my opinion is not even subjective on this topic -- it’s actually correct. That’s how great this song is. For argument's sake, I’ll take back what I said about being correct on this subject, but if you just listen to the song, you might be surprised and just agree with me.

Its Atmospheric Tone

This song is not just a song -- it really feels like an experience. Every little detail and musical element in the song lends to it as a whole. The intro of the song starts with the loud sound of a hawk followed by ambient sounds of crickets, birds, and other outdoor noises that already establishes a setting and feeling for the entire song. I mean, really? It’s already ahead of the game and we haven’t even heard the music yet…

The Buildup

Cue the piano, and the song has begun. One of the greatest aspects of this song is its ability to build throughout the entire thing until the ending climax. After the piano starts the outdoor sounds continue until finally the listener is hit with three loud drum beats and by the fourth, a chorus sets in singing one of the repeated vocal melodies that appears throughout the song. Played along with this is the repeated guitar melody that is way too epic to even explain. Jared Leto’s vocals then come in to calm the song down until the first chorus sets in and the life of the song begins. Add in the violin that brings the listener into the second verse and we already have an unbelievable first act.

The Bridge

The song continues going back and forth between the calmer verses (although the second verse has more going on with the use of the drums and electric guitar). But before we reach the climax, the bridge proceeds it. After the second chorus, the song almost comes to a halt and everything stops. All we can really hear is the ambient sound that reminds me of wind blowing. The bridge starts out raw with pretty much only Jared Leto’s vocals. Then, as it slowly builds we hear steady drum beats, a soft guitar, and the violins. Everything starts to get louder and louder as the song builds and builds, almost like suspense to see how the song will reach its climax and let me tell you, when it does, there is nothing quite like it.

The Climax

The most intense chorus is the beginning of the climax of the song. You can hear the chorus of background vocals, the violins, the guitar melody, and the drums all play their loudest together to form a cohesive finale. Jared Leto then follows by belting out the last lyrics of the song that literally gives me the chills. As the last note is sung, everything stops. All that is left is the chorus of fans (yes, they used actual fans singing in the recording) singing the last melody and a couple of electric guitar notes as the bass guitar plays the last and final note that is so deep and low it concludes the song perfectly.

The Lyrics

I’m not one to try and tell people what lyrics mean because everyone has their own interpretations, and that is what makes songs so cool. These are not your average run of the mill lyrics and Jared Leto has said that the song “explores the triumphant feeling of human possibilities.” But it’s not even the lyrics that necessarily tell us this - just the sound of the song and the way it presents itself through its construction and production make us feel like that’s what it’s trying to say. It’s hard to explain, but every time I hear the song I’m so taken back by it. Do yourself a favor and really listen to this song with headphones on somewhere peaceful, and you will agree that it will forever be the most epic song ever produced.